Pentax 85mm D FA f/1.4 ED SDM AW
This large-aperture, medium-telephoto lens is the second fixed focus lens of the new-generation PENTAX Star () lens series. Designed for use with PENTAX K-mount DSLRs, this series boasts the highest imaging performance out of all the PENTAX lenses.
The Star series is the top of the range for PENTAX lenses, so when developing the new generation, PENTAX conducted an extensive review of its in-house standards, demanding the highest performance, even for use with future PENTAX DSLRs, which are expected to deliver even higher image quality and better performance than current models. Developed in pursuit of ultimate image quality, this new lens delivers superb imaging power, without relying heavily on the image sensor or image processor. The photographer can enjoy the entire process of taking a picture by viewing the subject directly with sharp and clear detail through the camera's optical viewfinder
In order to ensure the exceptional imaging power demanded for the new-generation Star series, this new lens incorporates high quality Super ED (Extra-low Dispersion) glass optical elements and an aspherical optical element to compensate for various aberrations whilst keeping them to a minimum — in particular, to reduce axial chromatic aberration effectively and prevent the generation of purple fringing in backlit situations. It also reduces distortion to nearly zero at a focusing distance of four meters - a serious concern for portrait photographers. In addition, PENTAX has also developed a new SDM ring (Supersonic Direct-drive Motor) exclusively for this new lens, resulting in flawless, high-speed autofocus operation, while incorporating an exterior design that provides a secure grip, facilitating manual-focus operation. This new lens is designed not only to assure the highest imaging power currently possible, but also to enhance the joy of photography.
A new-generation, high-performance Star-series lens that delivers exceptional image quality
Anticipating the future development of SLR cameras, PENTAX has designed this lens to deliver extra-clear, high-contrast images with edge-to-edge sharpness whilst keeping various aberrations to a minimum and greatly enhancing resolving power — two factors that are absolutely essential for the new generation Star series. It provides exceptionally high imaging performance even at open aperture, a beautiful bokeh (defocus) effect and outstanding image rendition at close range — these are all reasons for the high-quality, well-defined images that are produced. It also boasts an extra-large F1.4 maximum aperture, useful for many different subjects within a range of applications, including portraiture with a beautifully defocused background, handheld shooting of indoor scenes and landscape photography. It produces a clear image in the camera's viewfinder, one to inspire the photographer's creativity and imagination.
State-of-the-art optical technology
This lens incorporates three Super ED (Extra-low Dispersion) glass optical elements to effectively minimize chromatic aberration, and a glass-molded aspherical optical element to effectively compensate for spherical and chromatic aberrations and field curvature to deliver extra-clear, high-contrast images with edge-to-edge sharpness, even when the aperture is wide open. It also reduces distortion to nearly zero at a focusing distance of four meters to deliver well-defined, distortion-free images over the entire focusing range, from the minimum focusing distance to infinity. This lens is also treated with high-grade, multi-layer HD* Coating, which reduces average reflectance in the visible ray spectrum to less than 50% of conventional multi-layer coatings, effectively reducing flare and ghost images to a minimum even in demanding lighting conditions such as backlighting.
* HD is the abbreviation of High Definition.
Newly designed, large SDM ring.
In order to deliver the highest image quality possible over the entire focusing range — from the minimum focusing distance to infinity — this lens features an newly designed, large SDM ring to efficiently drive the focusing mechanism, which consists of a higher number of optical elements than ordinary lenses, and is required to shift heavy rear-optical-element groups in unison. Generating a torque approximately 1.3 times that of the unit installed in the HD PENTAX-D FA50mm f1.4 SDM AW, this new SDM assures flawless, high-speed autofocus operation.
Dustproof, weather-resistant construction
Developed as an AW (All Weather) model, this lens features a dependable dustproof, weather-resistant construction with eight special seals to prevent the intrusion of water into the lens barrel. When paired with a dustproof, weather-resistant PENTAX digital SLR camera body, it assures a durable, reliable digital imaging system that performs superbly in demanding shooting settings — even in rain or mist, or at locations prone to water splashes or spray.
Nine-blade, round-shaped diaphragm to produce a natural, beautiful bokeh (defocus) effect
up to the F2.8 aperture setting, while minimizing the streaking effect from points of light.
The exterior design facilitates ring focusing when shooting in manual-focus and whilst also enabling a secure grip.
Electromagnetic diaphragm-control mechanism** for flawless, high-precision exposure control
during video recording
SP (Super Protect) coating to keep the front surface free from dust.
** This mechanism is available when the lens is mounted on a K-1 Mark II, K-1, K-3 II, K-3, KP,
K-70, K-50, K-S2 or K-S1 camera body.
|Offers: Price Drop|
|Offer Category: Camera Lenses|
|Offer Product Type: Pentax Lenses K mount|
|Aperture ring: N/A|
|Constant Aperture: N/A|
|Lens CIPA Image stabilization rating: N/A|
|Diameter (mm): N/A|
|Length (mm): N/A|
|Weight (g): N/A|
|Distance scale: N/A|
|DoF scale: N/A|
|Environmental Sealing: N/A|
|Focus distance limiter: N/A|
|Focal length: N/A|
|Focus method: N/A|
|Filter Thread: N/A|
|Full time manual: N/A|
|Hood supplied: N/A|
|Lens Image stabilization: N/A|
|Lens mount: N/A|
|Lens Materials: N/A|
|Maximum focal length: N/A|
|Maximum magnification: N/A|
|Maximum aperture (number): N/A|
|Maximum aperture (text): N/A|
|Max Format size: N/A|
|Minimum focal length: N/A|
|Lens Minimum focus distance (m): N/A|
|Minimum aperture (number): N/A|
|Minimum aperture (text): N/A|
|Motor type: N/A|
|Number of diaphragm blades: N/A|
|Power zoom: N/A|
|Special elements / coatings: N/A|
|Tripod collar: N/A|
|Lens type: N/A|
|Zoom lock: N/A|
|Zoom method: N/A|
Writing your review
Sign In / Register
Existing Customer Login
If you are already a member, fill in the details below to login & view your account.
New Customer Signup
Create an account with Park CamerasRegister
- Like New – The equipment is in a condition as if you have just bought it from the manufacturer. The item is still considered to be ‘Like New’ even without the original packaging. The product has been fully tested and is in perfect working order.
- Excellent – The equipment should be close to being ‘Like New’ but there may be some small cosmetic blemishes that lower its grade. The product has been fully tested and is in perfect excellent order.
- Cameras – Should have no marks on the LCD screen
- Lenses – Should have no marks on the elements or dust within the lens
- Very Good – The equipment may have some slight cosmetic wear to the paintwork and cosmetic blemishes with only light signs of use and the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – The LCD screen may have small signs of wear that does not affect its display
- Lenses – The mount of the lens will start to show signs of wear
- Good – The equipment is showing more obvious signs of cosmetic wear and blemishes, but the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – LCD screen may have scratches or wear that is starting to affect the display.
- Lenses – May have slight dust inside that does not affect images. The mount shows signs of use.
- Well Used – The equipment will show significant signs of wear. The paintwork will be coming away in large areas exposing the metal work, but the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – LCD screen is heavily worn either by de-lamination or has scratches to it. Rubber grips are starting to come away from the body.
- Lenses – The lens has dust inside that may affect images. The rubber zoom/focus ring is coming away from the barrel of the lens.