Nikon 500mm f/5.6E PF ED VR AF-S NIKKOR Lens
FX format, super-telephoto lens that supports a 500 mm focal length. Adoption of a Phase Fresnel (PF) lens element has significantly reduced the size and weight of the lens, making hand-held super-telephoto photography easy and enjoyable.
- Perfect for wildlife and sports photography
- Flare control makes it ideal for backlit situations
- High speed autofocus
- Manual focus override
Nikkor 500mm lens f/5.6E PF ED VR AF-S
The AF-S NIKKOR 500mm f/5.6E PF ED VR is a high-performance, FX format, super-telephoto lens that supports a 500 mm focal length. Adoption of a Phase Fresnel (PF) lens element has significantly reduced the size and weight of the lens, making hand-held super-telephoto photography easy and enjoyable.
- Significantly smaller and lighter with the adoption of a Phase Fresnel (PF) lens element
- Designed with consideration to a dust and drip-resistant structure, and adoption of Nikon's fluorine coat that effectively repels dust, water droplets, grease, and dirt
- Cutting-edge optics with which one PF lens element and three ED glass elements have been adopted for extremely sharp and detailed rendering that is compatible with high pixel-count digital cameras
- Optical performance that is in no way sacrificed when the TC-14E III AF-S teleConverter is used
- materials used in the new PF lens element effectively control PF (diffraction) flare
- The effective ghost and flare suppression achieved through the use of Nano Crystal Coat enables clear images
- AF speed increased by making lens elements in the focusing group lighter
Suitable for A Wide Range of Telephoto Subjects
Aerial views of the rally stage. Raptors in flight. Shoot stills and video in remote or challenging situations, without worrying about your lens.
The Phase Fresnel (PF) lens element helps keep the lens compact, and a fluorine coating repels water, dust, and dirt. Every movable part of the lens barrel is sealed to protect from dust and water droplets. Ball bearings in the tripod collar ring ensure smooth transitions between horizontal and vertical shooting.
High Quality Lens Elements
Wildlife at sunset. Subjects under harsh streetlights. Benefit from edge-to-edge sharpness, and minimal light fall-off and flare, even when shooting wide open or in backlit situations.
Three ED glass elements ensure images with vivid colour and deep contrast. Nikon’s antireflective Nano Crystal Coat ensures clear images with minimal flare and ghosting, even in backlit conditions. PF lens flare is effectively minimised, and the superior resolving power of this lens ensures excellent reproduction of point light sources. Even at the periphery of the frame.
Keep pace with the action, and the light. Nikon's Vibration Reduction and SPORT VR let you shoot without worrying about the effects of camera shake.
Vibration Reduction For Sharper Images
Designed to reduce the blur caused by camera movement, Nikon's Vibration Reduction (VR) lets you shoot at shutter speeds up to 4 stops slower than without VR. VR activates the instant you press the camera’s exposure button halfway, and operation is quiet. SPORT VR mode is helpful when shooting exceptionally fast action, or when panning. It delivers a more stable viewfinder image, even during continuous shooting, without compromising image quality.
This lens responds swiftly and precisely when your subject moves. An electromagnetic diaphragm delivers precise exposures at high frame rates.
Nikon’s Silent Wave Motor enables ultra-fast, ultra-quiet autofocus performance. Advanced AF tracking keeps pace with fast-moving subjects—even when they’re moving erratically, at random speeds, or approaching the camera quickly. The electromagnetic diaphragm ensures fast automatic exposure control, and maximum accuracy. The two-position focus-limit switch (FULL and ∞–8 m) offers additional control over subject-acquisition speed.
Smooth focus control
A fox’s burrow. A bend in the racetrack. Easily fine-tune focusing—adapt to the moment with breathtaking precision.
Focus functions inherited from Nikon’s professional lenses offer superb control. A/M and M/A focus mode switches let you switch from autofocus to manual focus simply by turning the focus ring. The focus ring boasts a knurled covering that enables a firm grip. And the Memory Recall function lets you store a focus distance for repeated use. Perfect when you want to focus on a bird’s favourite hunting perch.
Product features in detail
19 elements in 11 groups (including 3 ED lens elements, 1 PF (phase Fresnel) lens element, lens elements with Nano-Crystal coatings, and a fluorine-coated front lens element)
Angle of view
Nikon FX-format D-SLR cameras: 5°, Nikon DX-format D-SLR cameras: 3° 10'
Minimum focus distance
3.0 m (9.8 ft) from focal plane
No. of diaphragm blades
9 (rounded diaphragm opening)
Filter attachment size
95 mm (P = 1.0 mm)
Diameter x length (extension from lens mount)
Approx. 106 mm maximum diameter x 237 mm (distance from camera lens mount flange)
Approx. 1460 g
LC-95 95 mm Snap-on Front Lens Cap, LF-4 Rear Lens Cap, HB-84 Bayonet Hood, CL-M5 Lens Case
|Offer Category: Camera Lenses|
|Offer Product Type: Nikon Lenses F mount|
|Aperture ring: N/A|
|Constant Aperture: N/A|
|Lens CIPA Image stabilization rating: N/A|
|Diameter (mm): N/A|
|Length (mm): N/A|
|Weight (g): 19595|
|Distance scale: N/A|
|DoF scale: N/A|
|Environmental Sealing: N/A|
|Focus distance limiter: N/A|
|Focal length: N/A|
|Focus method: N/A|
|Filter Thread: N/A|
|Full time manual: N/A|
|Hood supplied: N/A|
|Lens Image stabilization: N/A|
|Lens mount: N/A|
|Lens Materials: N/A|
|Maximum focal length: N/A|
|Maximum magnification: N/A|
|Maximum aperture (number): N/A|
|Maximum aperture (text): N/A|
|Max Format size: N/A|
|Minimum focal length: N/A|
|Lens Minimum focus distance (m): N/A|
|Minimum aperture (number): N/A|
|Minimum aperture (text): N/A|
|Motor type: N/A|
|Number of diaphragm blades: N/A|
|Power zoom: N/A|
|Special elements / coatings: N/A|
|Tripod collar: N/A|
|Lens type: N/A|
|Zoom lock: N/A|
|Zoom method: N/A|
With the latest version of the Nikon 500mm f/5.6, Nikon have concentrated on reducing weight with the addition of a Phase Fresnel element.
This gives a whole new lease of life to this telephoto lens, making it easier to get crisp, handheld shots.
Writing your review
Sign In / Register
Existing Customer Login
If you are already a member, fill in the details below to login & view your account.
New Customer Signup
Create an account with Park CamerasRegister
- Like New – The equipment is in a condition as if you have just bought it from the manufacturer. The item is still considered to be ‘Like New’ even without the original packaging. The product has been fully tested and is in perfect working order.
- Excellent – The equipment should be close to being ‘Like New’ but there may be some small cosmetic blemishes that lower its grade. The product has been fully tested and is in perfect excellent order.
- Cameras – Should have no marks on the LCD screen
- Lenses – Should have no marks on the elements or dust within the lens
- Very Good – The equipment may have some slight cosmetic wear to the paintwork and cosmetic blemishes with only light signs of use and the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – The LCD screen may have small signs of wear that does not affect its display
- Lenses – The mount of the lens will start to show signs of wear
- Good – The equipment is showing more obvious signs of cosmetic wear and blemishes, but the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – LCD screen may have scratches or wear that is starting to affect the display.
- Lenses – May have slight dust inside that does not affect images. The mount shows signs of use.
- Well Used – The equipment will show significant signs of wear. The paintwork will be coming away in large areas exposing the metal work, but the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – LCD screen is heavily worn either by de-lamination or has scratches to it. Rubber grips are starting to come away from the body.
- Lenses – The lens has dust inside that may affect images. The rubber zoom/focus ring is coming away from the barrel of the lens.