Laowa 65mm f/2.8 2x Ultra Macro APO Lens for Sony E
Made for APS-C Sony E mirrorless cameras, the Laowa 65mm f/2.8 2x Ultra Macro Lens is a pure manual focus close-up lens with 2:1 double life size results that includes 3 Extra-Low Dispersion elements
- Twice life size 2:1 magnification macro lens for Sony APS-C mirrorless users
- Advanced APO optical design renders sharp, accurate colour with overall great result
- Bright 9-bladed aperture for low light work even at extremely close focus distances
- Compact and lightweight short telephoto prime lens for handholding and easy transport
- Pinpoint accuracy with manual focus only lens and distance markings on the barrel
Laowa 65mm f/2.8 2x Ultra Macro APO APS-C Lens for Sony E Summary
With a range of Sony crop sensor cameras available third party lens manufacturers release compatible offerings like this 65mm f/2.8 2x Ultra Macro APO Lens from Laowa. This close-up lens stands out thanks to its 2:1 double life size macro capabilities along with an Apochromatic optical design (APO). This APO design renders low levels of colour fringing and reduces spherical aberrations achieving high quality results. An effective focal length of around 100mm (full frame format) provides a classic short telephoto prime lens ideal for extreme close-ups with a minimum focus distance of just 17cm. Despite these advanced optics Sony camera users get a lens which weighs just 335g, is 100mm long and accepts cost effective 52mm filters.
Features at a glance
- 2x Ultra double magnification macro
- APS-C format only with 97.5mm effective focal width
- Compact and lightweight
- Fast f/2.8 aperture
- Great optical performance from three Extra-Low dispersion elemen
- 52mm filter thread
The Laowa 65mm f/2.8 2x Ultra Macro APO Lens has an internal focus mechanism with manual focus only for Sony users. MF is often preferred for close-up work as it allows the user to accurately choose the exact point of focus on their subject. Whether you shoot macro flowers, insects or any other subjects a series of lens barrel markings ensure you can accurately gauge focus and depth of field.
Laowa 65mm f/2.8 2x Ultra Macro APO Lens for Sony E sample images
© Sui Yuan
© Florian Dzula
© Jimmy Chan
Whats in the box
- Laowa 65mm f/2.8 2x Ultra Macro Lens for Sony E APS-C only
- Lens hood
- Front and rear lens caps
Whether you are new to macro photography or enjoy making close-up images already the Laowa 65mm f/2.8 2x Ultra Macro APO Lens provides ample opportunity to immerse yourself in this genre. It offers double life-size 2:1 magnification ratio (2x Ultra) resulting in frame filling larger than life details. A fast f/2.8 aperture with 9-blades affords the ability to shoot in lower lighting situations as well as capture smooth out of focus bokeh. With the lens bearing an APO optical design, Laowa ensures all 3 Extra-Low Dispersion elements are working to produce the best results possible. In practice this means well controlled colour fringing, sharp details and all round great quality in a compact size.
At 100mm long and weight of 335g the lens’ compact size sits well on more compact APS-C cameras and allows for extended handholding. Manual focus is assisted by a series of distance markings along with DOF scale on the lens barrel. Whilst MF is not for everyone when you’re working at close distance even the smallest change in focus point can throw off a macro image so its is welcome to many photographers. Laowa has managed to produce an affordable, compact and specialised option which sits very nicely amongst a host of compatible Sony mirrorless lenses.
Writing your review
Sign In / Register
Existing Customer Login
If you are already a member, fill in the details below to login & view your account.
New Customer Signup
Create an account with Park CamerasRegister
- Like New – The equipment is in a condition as if you have just bought it from the manufacturer. The item is still considered to be ‘Like New’ even without the original packaging. The product has been fully tested and is in perfect working order.
- Excellent – The equipment should be close to being ‘Like New’ but there may be some small cosmetic blemishes that lower its grade. The product has been fully tested and is in perfect excellent order.
- Cameras – Should have no marks on the LCD screen
- Lenses – Should have no marks on the elements or dust within the lens
- Very Good – The equipment may have some slight cosmetic wear to the paintwork and cosmetic blemishes with only light signs of use and the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – The LCD screen may have small signs of wear that does not affect its display
- Lenses – The mount of the lens will start to show signs of wear
- Good – The equipment is showing more obvious signs of cosmetic wear and blemishes, but the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – LCD screen may have scratches or wear that is starting to affect the display.
- Lenses – May have slight dust inside that does not affect images. The mount shows signs of use.
- Well Used – The equipment will show significant signs of wear. The paintwork will be coming away in large areas exposing the metal work, but the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – LCD screen is heavily worn either by de-lamination or has scratches to it. Rubber grips are starting to come away from the body.
- Lenses – The lens has dust inside that may affect images. The rubber zoom/focus ring is coming away from the barrel of the lens.