HD PENTAX-DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED PLM AW Zoom Lens
A new-generation Star series of lenses for use with PENTAX APS-C-format digital SLR cameras, this large-aperture standard zoom lens features an open aperture of F2.8 over the entire zoom range to deliver exceptional optical performance.
- Correction of aberrations through various special lenses
- High input speed of F2.8 over the entire focal length range
- PLM AF motor for fast and precise focusing
- Electromagnetic iris control for precise exposure evenwith video
- Nine sealing rings against dust and moisture penetration
HD PENTAX-DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED PLM AW Zoom Lens Summary
This standard zoom lens has been developed as the latest model of the new-generation Star (★) series, designed to provide improved image quality and high-speed, high-precision autofocus operation to accommodate the super-high-performance digital cameras of the future. By incorporating the latest optical design technologies, the optics has been completely redesigned to assure high-resolution, high-contrast images even at open aperture. Compared with the existing smc PENTAX-DA★ 16-50mm F2.8ED AL[IF]SDM launched in July of 2007, this lens delivers greatly improved imaging performance. It also incorporates a PLM (Pulse Motor) for the first time in a large-aperture lens to assure high-speed, low-noise autofocus operation. It is even fine-tuned for greater operability in manual-focus operation. This new zoom lens allows users to fully enjoy the process of photography according to their own preferences.
Features at a glance
New-generation Star-series lens, designed for optimal image quality
Designed as a member of the new-generation Star-series series — which provides the greatly improved resolving power that will accommodate the super-high-performance digital cameras of the future — this standard zoom lens compensates various aberrations to a minimum and delivers sharp, clear images, not only in the middle of the image field but at the edges. Incorporating one ED (Extra-low Dispersion) glass optical element, one anomalous glass optical element and two ED (Extra-low Dispersion) aspherical glass optical elements, it effectively reduces chromatic aberration to a minimum over the entire zoom range. Coupled with high-grade, multi-layer HD Coating,* which reduces the average reflectance in the visible ray spectrum to less than 50% that of conventional multi-layer coatings, it effectively minimizes flare and ghost images even in demanding lighting conditions such as backlighting.
This standard zoom lens delivers exceptionally high resolving power and outstanding contrast even at open aperture, while capturing beautiful images with a smooth transition of the bokeh (defocus) effect and a true-to-life depth of field. Since its maximum aperture is fixed at F2.8 over the entire focal-length range from 16 to 50 millimeters (equivalent to 24.5mm to 76.5mm in 35mm format), this large-aperture zoom lens makes it an ideal regular-use lens for the PENTAX K-3 Mark III.
* HD stands for High Definition.
High-speed AF system with a minimum focusing distance of 0.3 meters
This zoom lens incorporates a newly designed optical system which features a lighter, more compact focus-lens group. By driving this focus-lens group with an advanced PLM (Pulse Motor), it assures smooth, high-speed autofocus operation with minimized operational noise. Thanks to the redesigned focus mechanism, it provides the minimum focusing distance of just 0.3 meters, and the maximum magnification of 0.24 times, making this a handy, regular-use lens for capturing all types of subjects — from everyday snapshots to close-ups and landscapes.
Electromagnetic diaphragm mechanism for high-precision diaphragm control
This zoom lens features an electromagnetic diaphragm control mechanism* to assure high-precision exposure control when used in combination with compatible digital SLR cameras. It also lets the user capture video clips using automatic exposure control, even when there are considerable differences in brightness during the video shooting. When mounted on a PENTAX K-3 Mark III, PENTAX KP or PENTAX K-70 camera body, the PLM (Pulse Motor) assures smooth focus tracking operation and flawless exposure control, while considerably reducing annoying noise generated by focus and diaphragm control operations during video shooting. Its assures smooth, worry-free video shooting in locations prone to considerable brightness changes — such as a stage with rapidly changing lighting conditions, or a forest with filtering sunrays — or with active, fast-moving subjects such as athletes or animals.
* The lens features the KAF4 mount, and is compatible with electromagnetic diaphragm control. Electromagnetic diaphragm control is available in combination with PENTAX K-3 Mark III, PENTAX K-3 II, PENTAX K-3, PENTAX KP, PENTAX K-70, PENTAX K-50, PENTAX K-S2, PENTAX K-S1, PENTAX K-1 Mark II or PENTAX K-1 camera bodies. We advise that users upgrade the camera’s firmware to the latest version to properly use electromagnetic diaphragm control. When mounted on a PENTAX K-1 Mark II or PENTAX K-1 camera body, images can be captured only in Crop mode, because the camera’s image circle is exclusively designed for the APS-C format.
Dustproof, weather-resistant construction
Developed as an AW (All Weather) model, this zoom lens features a dustproof, weather-resistant construction to prevent the intrusion of water and dust particles into the lens interior. By pairing it with a PENTAX dustproof, weather-resistant digital SLR camera body, the user can create a highly durable, reliable digital imaging system that performs superbly even in the most demanding shooting conditions — in rain or mist, or at locations prone to splashing water.
- Effortless manual-focus operation, with limited lens extension during focusing between the minimum focusing distance and infinity and optimum focus-ring torque
- Nine-blade circular diaphragm to produce a natural, beautiful bokeh (defocus) effect (from open aperture to F5.6 in the wide-angle range; from open aperture to F8 in the telephoto range), while minimizing the streaking of point light sources
- Quick-Shift Focus System to provide an instant shift to manual-focus operation, after locking the subject in focus during AF operation by pressing the camera’s shutter-release button halfway down; this system can be used at any time during AF operation
- SP (Super Protect) Coating to keep the lens front surface free of dust and stains
What's in the box
- HD PENTAX-DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED PLM AW Zoom Lens
- Lens Hood PH-RBN77,
- Lens Cap O-LC77,
- Lens Mount Cap K and
- Lens Case S120-150
|Equivalent to 24.5-76.5mm in 35mm format|
|(when attached to PENTAX APS-C size DSLR cameras)|
|Lens Construction||16 elements in 10 groups|
|Angle of View (Diagonal)||83-31.5°|
|(when attached to PENTAX APS-C size DSLR cameras)|
|Minimum Focusing Distance||0.3m (0.98ft.)|
|Diaphragm Control||Electromagnetic diaphragm|
|Number of Diaphragm Blades||9|
|Rounded diaphragm （16mm:F2.8-5.6 50mm:F2.8-8）|
|Lens Hood||PH-RBN77 (included)|
|Lens Cap||O-LC77 (included)|
|Lens Case||S120-150 (included)|
|Maximum Diameter x Length||approx. 84mm x 117mm (approx. 3.3in. x 4.6in.)|
|Weight||approx. 712g / with hood approx. 750g|
|(approx. 25.1oz. / with hood approx. 26.5oz.)|
|Humidity||85% or less (no condensation)|
|Offer Category: N/A|
|Offer Product Type: N/A|
|Aperture ring: N/A|
|Constant Aperture: Yes|
|Lens CIPA Image stabilization rating: N/A|
|Diameter (mm): N/A|
|Length (mm): N/A|
|Weight (g): N/A|
|Distance scale: N/A|
|DoF scale: N/A|
|Environmental Sealing: N/A|
|Focus distance limiter: N/A|
|Focal length: N/A|
|Focus method: N/A|
|Filter Thread: N/A|
|Full time manual: N/A|
|Hood supplied: N/A|
|Lens Image stabilization: N/A|
|Lens mount: N/A|
|Lens Materials: N/A|
|Maximum focal length: N/A|
|Maximum magnification: N/A|
|Maximum aperture (number): N/A|
|Maximum aperture (text): N/A|
|Max Format size: N/A|
|Minimum focal length: N/A|
|Lens Minimum focus distance (m): N/A|
|Minimum aperture (number): N/A|
|Minimum aperture (text): N/A|
|Motor type: N/A|
|Number of diaphragm blades: N/A|
|Power zoom: N/A|
|Special elements / coatings: N/A|
|Tripod collar: N/A|
|Lens type: N/A|
|Lens Level: N/A|
|Best For: N/A|
|Zoom lock: N/A|
|Zoom method: N/A|
Would you like to give any feedback about this page?Complete our feedback form
Writing your review
Sign In / Register
Existing Customer Login
If you are already a member, fill in the details below to login & view your account.
New Customer Signup
Create an account with Park CamerasRegister
Our used products are subject to wear and tear in comparison to brand new products. This also applies to accessories that are supplied with the camera including batteries which may have a lower optimum performance level/life expectancy.
- Like New – The equipment is in a condition as if you have just bought it from the manufacturer. The item is still considered to be ‘Like New’ even without the original packaging. The product has been fully tested and is in perfect working order.
- Excellent – The equipment should be close to being ‘Like New’ but there may be some small cosmetic blemishes that lower its grade. The product has been fully tested and is in perfect excellent order.
- Cameras – Should have no marks on the LCD screen
- Lenses – Should have no marks on the elements or dust within the lens
- Very Good – The equipment may have some slight cosmetic wear to the paintwork and cosmetic blemishes with only light signs of use and the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – The LCD screen may have small signs of wear that does not affect its display
- Lenses – The mount of the lens will start to show signs of wear
- Good – The equipment is showing more obvious signs of cosmetic wear and blemishes, but the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – LCD screen may have scratches or wear that is starting to affect the display.
- Lenses – May have slight dust inside that does not affect images. The mount shows signs of use.
- Well Used – The equipment will show significant signs of wear. The paintwork will be coming away in large areas exposing the metal work, but the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – LCD screen is heavily worn either by de-lamination or has scratches to it. Rubber grips are starting to come away from the body.
- Lenses – The lens has dust inside that may affect images. The rubber zoom/focus ring is coming away from the barrel of the lens.