Laowa 58mm f/2.8 2x Ultra-Macro APO Lens for Canon RF
The Laowa 58mm f/2.8 2x Ultra-Macro APO for Canon RF is a manual-only full-frame prime, which captures unique double life-sized close-ups that can also be used for portraits and as a standard 58mm lens.
Pre-order today for first UK stock. Available for delivery from late Jan.
Earn 569 Park Points
Finance available See options
Trade in & Trade up
Looking to trade in your photo equipment? Get a quote now!
Chat with a Canon product specialist about this productChat now
- Focus from 2:1 magnification to infinity and use the lens for close-ups as well as standard subjects like portraits
- See more than the human eye sees with 2x macro magnification for frame-filling details and unique close-ups
- Well-controlled distortion with reduced chromatic aberration from the apochromatic (APO) design
- Typical high build quality lens with metallic parts, a smooth focus ring and brushed black paint finish
- Portable design which weighs around 595g which is perfect for handheld shooting and as a walk around lens
Laowa 58mm f/2.8 2x Ultra-Macro APO Lens for Canon RF Summary
Joining three existing mirrorless RF lenses, is this Laowa 58mm f/2.8 2x Ultra-Macro APO Lens for Canon RF mount. It provides a standard 58mm focal width when mounted on full-frame mirrorless EOS R cameras, with the ability to manual focus from 2:1 magnification to infinity. This allows you to capture up to 2x macro close-ups, as well as portraits and other subjects suited to a standard 40.9° field of view.
The 2x magnification renders incredible double life-sized macro images of anything from nature images to product photography and anything in between. Users can get as close as 18.5cm to their subject, ensures you can fill the frame if desired, while the bright f/2.8 aperture and 13-bladed aperture design capture smooth out of focus areas, with pleasing rounded bokeh.
Results are detailed and sharp even at the minimum focusing distance, with well-controlled pin cushioning, minimal vignetting and chromatic aberration thanks to the apochromatic (APO) design by Laowa.
Key Laowa 58mm f/2.8 2x Ultra-Macro APO Lens Features
- Full-frame manual focus standard focal width 2x magnification macro prime
- Focus from 2:1 magnification to infinity
- Well-controlled chromatic aberration from apochromatic (APO) design
- Excellent build quality with metal parts and brushed black paint
- Aperture ring with click stops and smooth metallic manual focus ring
- Good contrast with sharp details even at extreme close minimum focus range
- Minimal pin cushion distortion with low levels of vignetting
- Smoothly rendered out of focus areas and pleasing bokeh
- Compact 67mm thread for adding lens filters
Laowa 58mm f/2.8 2x Ultra-Macro APO Lens for Canon RF in More Detail
This lens is similar to other macro Laowa lenses, which are able to focus from 2:1 magnification to infinity, serving as both a macro and portrait lens. It has 14 elements in 11 groups, which includes 3 extra-low dispersion (ED) glasses and 3 glasses with Ultra-High Refractive Index which produces pictures with outstanding sharpness and is lightweight enough at around 595g to be easily carried around.
Up to 2x Magnification with Apochromat APO design
This 58mm lens can focus infinity to 2x magnification along with a minimum focusing distance of 18.5cm, so it can serve as a portrait lens with 40.9° angle of view. Chromatic aberration (CA) at both in-focus and out-of-focus areas (Longitudinal CA) is especially well controlled, reducing time spent editing and helping to get great results straight out of the camera.
The optical design includes 3 ED glasses and 3 glasses with Ultra-High Refractive Index, which delivers sharp details and high contrast, perfect for high-resolution sensors found in Canon cameras.
Deeper DOF (depth of field)
With a shorter 58mm focal length than most macro lenses, including Laowa’s own 90mm F/2.8 2x Ultra Macro APO Lens For Canon RF, the 58mm f/2.8 2x lens can create images with a deeper depth of field, which is beneficial when the photographer hopes to create visual narratives through environmental close-ups by including more of the scene. It can also help to reduce the need for focus stacking, thanks to fewer images being required as more of the subject is in focus.
The lens design is based around internal focusing, which reduces the chance of collision between the lens and a subject, as well as reducing the amount of dust from falling into the lens.
Pleasing bokeh rendition
With13 aperture blades the lens is able to create pleasing rounded bokeh balls with soft out of focus areas.
Laowa 58mm f/2.8 2x Ultra-Macro APO Lens Sample photos
© Dustin Abbot
© Dustin Abbot
© Dustin Abbot
© Micael Widell
Laowa is adding to their existing manual-only options for the RF mount with the 58mm f/2.8 2x Ultra-Macro APO Lens for Canon EOS R cameras. It provides a standard focal width with a 40.9° angle of view, rather than a more typical short telephoto range. This is particularly useful when you have such a close minimum focusing distance. This allows you to get near to the subject, while filling the frame with background elements, as well as gain a deeper depth of field for your subject.
Double life size 2x magnification delivers high levels of detail, which is unseen by the human eye so you can capture truly unique close-up images. The ability to focus through to infinity enables you to also shoot standard type images, using the 58mm f/2.8 lens as a general purpose and portrait lens.
Image artefacts are well controlled, as is distortion and vignetting, which not only provides great looking photos straight out of camera, but reduces the time required correcting CA during post production. If you enjoy manual focus macro photography, this option from Laowa makes an appealing change from standard short telephoto macro lens, while delivering excellent results.
Would you like to give any feedback about this page?Complete our feedback form
Writing your review
Sign In / Register
Existing Customer Login
If you are already a member, fill in the details below to login & view your account.
New Customer Signup
Create an account with Park CamerasRegister
Our used products are subject to wear and tear in comparison to brand new products. This also applies to accessories that are supplied with the camera including batteries which may have a lower optimum performance level/life expectancy.
- Like New – The equipment is in a condition as if you have just bought it from the manufacturer. The item is still considered to be ‘Like New’ even without the original packaging and accessories. The product has been fully tested and is in perfect working order.
- Excellent – The equipment should be close to being ‘Like New’ but there may be some small cosmetic blemishes that lower its grade. The product has been fully tested and is in perfect excellent order.
- Cameras – Should have no marks on the LCD screen
- Lenses – Should have no marks on the elements or dust within the lens
- Very Good – The equipment may have some slight cosmetic wear to the paintwork and cosmetic blemishes with only light signs of use and the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – The LCD screen may have small signs of wear that does not affect its display
- Lenses – The mount of the lens will start to show signs of wear
- Good – The equipment is showing more obvious signs of cosmetic wear and blemishes, but the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – LCD screen may have scratches or wear that is starting to affect the display.
- Lenses – May have slight dust inside that does not affect images. The mount shows signs of use.
- Well Used – The equipment will show significant signs of wear. The paintwork will be coming away in large areas exposing the metal work, but the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – LCD screen is heavily worn either by de-lamination or has scratches to it. Rubber grips are starting to come away from the body.
- Lenses – The lens has dust inside that may affect images. The rubber zoom/focus ring is coming away from the barrel of the lens.
*All of our used items are listed with the accesories that are included. If they are not listed then they will not be supplied at eh epoint of purchase.