Celestron StarSense Explorer LT 114AZ
Find planets, brighter nebulae and galaxies easily with the app-enabled Celestron StarSense Explorer LT 114AZ, which is a 114mm Newtonian Reflector Telescope that uses StarSense for realtime identification.
Celestron StarSense Explorer LT 114AZ Summary
- Unleash the power of your smartphone to take you on a guided tour of the night sky—no telescope experience required.
- Award-winning and patent-pending StarSense sky recognition technology uses your smartphone to analyze star patterns overhead and calculate its position in real time.
- StarSense Explorer app automatically generates a list of objects currently visible. View planets, brighter nebulae and galaxies, star clusters, and double stars from the city. Or take your telescope to darker skies to view faint, deep sky objects.
- Manual altazimuth mount with altitude slow motion adjustment with a sliding rod makes it easy to follow the on-screen arrows to your desired target. When the bullseye turns green, it’s ready to view in the telescope’s eyepiece.
- 114mm (4.5”) Newtonian reflector with highly reflective coatings and enough light gathering ability to view all the best celestial objects.
- Includes 25mm and 10mm eyepieces, 2x Barlow Lens, StarSense smartphone dock, a red dot finderscope (in case you want to use the telescope without your phone), and a full-height tripod.
- Celestron has reinvented the manual telescope with StarSense Explorer—the first telescope that uses your smartphone to analyze the night sky and calculate its position in real time. StarSense Explorer is ideal for beginners thanks to the app’s user-friendly interface and detailed tutorials. It’s like having your own personal tour guide of the night sky.
Dock, Launch, Explore
Leave complicated star charts, imprecise planetarium apps, and computerized mounts behind. With StarSense Explorer, locating objects has never been easier, faster, or more accurate. Within minutes of setting up the telescope, you’ll be navigating the sky with confidence. Simply place your phone in the unique StarSense dock and launch the StarSense Explorer app. After aligning your phone to the telescope’s optics (a quick, 2-minute procedure), StarSense Explorer generates a list of celestial objects currently visible. Make your selection and arrows appear onscreen, guiding you as you to move the telescope. When the object is ready to view, the bullseye turns green.
StarSense Explorer works with most modern smartphones, including iPhone 6 and up and most devices running Android 7.1.2 or later manufactured since 2016. For a complete compatibility list, click here.
Patent-Pending StarSense Sky Recognition Technology
StarSense Explorer uses patent-pending technology and your smartphone to determine exactly where the telescope is pointed in the night sky. A Lost in Space Algorithm (LISA), like the ones satellites use in orbit to correctly orient themselves, helps the app match star patterns it detects overhead to its internal database.
While other astronomy apps may claim that they can help you find objects, they rely exclusively on the phone’s gyros and accelerometers, which aren’t as accurate as LISA technology. No other app can accurately tell you when your target is visible in the eyepiece.
Sturdy Altazimuth Mount
StarSense Explorer LT’s simple altazimuth mount makes it easy to move the telescope to find your target. An altitude slow motion adjustment with a sliding rod helps you fine tune the telescope’s pointing position and follow targets as they appear to drift across the night sky. It’s all anchored by an adjustable, full-height tripod.
Dazzling Views with High Quality Optics
With a large 114mm (4.5”) objective lens, this telescope has enough light gathering ability to bring out detail in celestial objects. You can expect sharp, bright views of Jupiter’s four Galilean moons, its cloud bands and Great Red Spot, the rings of Saturn, the trapezium in the Orion Nebula, and beautiful Pleaides Open Star Cluster.
Perfect for the City or Dark Sky Sites
Even if you live in a light polluted city location, StarSense Explorer is advanced enough to be able to pick out Jupiter, Saturn, Venus, the Orion Nebula, double stars, and a few more of the most famous celestial objects.
But if you can take the telescope to an even slightly darker location, more objects will become visible. With this 4.5” Newtonian and relatively dark skies, the Andromeda Galaxy, Hercules Open Star Cluster, and so many more are easily within your reach.
The entire telescope kit weighs just 10.4 pounds, so it’s perfectly portable and easy to bring on your next camping trip or to a remote observing site.
Everything You Need to Observe Immediately
When you unbox your new StarSense Explorer LT, you’ll find:
- 114mm Newtonian reflector optical tube
- StarSense dock for your smartphone
- Low powered (25mm) and high powered (10mm) eyepiece
- 2x Barlow lens to double the power of each eyepiece
- StarPointer red dot finderscope, perfect for using the telescope during the day or without the StarSense Explorer app
- Altazimuth mount with slow motion control rod
- Full-height tripod with an accessory tray to keep you organized
|OPTICAL TUBE INFO:|
|Optical Design:||Newtonian Reflector|
|Focal Length:||1000mm (39.3")|
|Focal Length of Eyepiece 1:||25mm (0.98")|
|Magnification of Eyepiece 1:||40x|
|Focal Length of Eyepiece 2:||10mm (0.39")|
|Magnification of Eyepiece 2:||100x|
|Barlow Lens:||2x (1.25")|
|Finderscope:||StarPointer™ red dot finderscope|
|Highest Useful Magnification:||269x|
|Lowest Useful Magnification:||16x|
|Limiting Stellar Magnitude:||12.8|
|Resolution (Rayleigh):||1.22 arc seconds|
|Resolution (Dawes):||1.02 arc seconds|
|Light Gathering Power (Compared to human eye):||265x|
|Secondary Mirror Obstruction:||44mm (1.73")|
|Secondary Mirror Obstruction by Diameter:||0.38|
|Secondary Mirror Obstruction by Area:||0.14|
|Optical Coatings:||Glass mirrors coated with aluminum and SiO₂|
|Optical Tube Length:||609.6mm (24")|
|Optical Tube Diameter:||147mm (5.78")|
|Optical Tube Weight:||6.6 lbs (2.99 kg)|
|Mount Type:||Manual Alt-Azimuth|
|Height adjustment range (includes mount and tripod):||Aluminum, 1320.8mm (52") max height|
|Tripod Leg Diameter:||31.75mm (1.75") steel|
|Tripod Weight:||3.8 lbs (1.72 kg)|
|GPS:||Uses phone's GPS|
|Power Requirements:||None (Recommend PowerTank Glow to keep phone charged while using App)|
|Alignment Procedures:||Use StarSense Explorer App|
|Software:||StarSense Explorer App | SkyPortal App | Celestron Starry Night Basic Edition Software|
|Total Kit Weight:||10.4 lbs (4.71 kg)|
|Included Items:||Optical tube | Mount and tripod (preassembled) | 25mm and 10mm eyepieces | 2x Barlow Lens | StarPointer finderscope | Accessory tray | StarSense Explorer phone dock|
Would you like to give any feedback about this page?Complete our feedback form
Writing your review
Sign In / Register
Existing Customer Login
If you are already a member, fill in the details below to login & view your account.
New Customer Signup
Create an account with Park CamerasRegister
Our used products are subject to wear and tear in comparison to brand new products. This also applies to accessories that are supplied with the camera including batteries which may have a lower optimum performance level/life expectancy.
- Like New – The equipment is in a condition as if you have just bought it from the manufacturer. The item is still considered to be ‘Like New’ even without the original packaging. The product has been fully tested and is in perfect working order.
- Excellent – The equipment should be close to being ‘Like New’ but there may be some small cosmetic blemishes that lower its grade. The product has been fully tested and is in perfect excellent order.
- Cameras – Should have no marks on the LCD screen
- Lenses – Should have no marks on the elements or dust within the lens
- Very Good – The equipment may have some slight cosmetic wear to the paintwork and cosmetic blemishes with only light signs of use and the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – The LCD screen may have small signs of wear that does not affect its display
- Lenses – The mount of the lens will start to show signs of wear
- Good – The equipment is showing more obvious signs of cosmetic wear and blemishes, but the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – LCD screen may have scratches or wear that is starting to affect the display.
- Lenses – May have slight dust inside that does not affect images. The mount shows signs of use.
- Well Used – The equipment will show significant signs of wear. The paintwork will be coming away in large areas exposing the metal work, but the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – LCD screen is heavily worn either by de-lamination or has scratches to it. Rubber grips are starting to come away from the body.
- Lenses – The lens has dust inside that may affect images. The rubber zoom/focus ring is coming away from the barrel of the lens.