Canon EOS R3 Mirrorless Digital Camera Body
The groundbreaking 24MP Canon EOS R3 Camera is brimming with technology focused on high speed shooting including 30fps (electronic), 120fps blackout-free EVF, 6K RAW video with 4K 120p, 8-stop IS, 5G and more
Pre-order today for first UK stock. Available for delivery from early Nov.
Park Points not available on this purchase.
Finance available See options
Trade in & Trade up
Looking to trade in your photo equipment? Get a quote now!
Chat with a Canon product specialist about this productChat now
- Groundbreaking high speed mirrorless camera with Canon developed 24MP Stacked, back-illuminated sensor
- 30fps in electronic shutter mode with full AF tracking of Humans, Animals and Vehicles including Face, Eye and Helmets
- Body IS with up to 8-stop advantage using combined RF lens-based IS for the ultimate image stabilisation
- Eye control AF is as amazing as it sounds, simply look at your subject, half press the shutter and it starts tracking
- Beautiful high resolution blackout-free EVF with 100% coverage and fully articulated Vari-Angle LCD screen
|Trade In||Like New Offer||You Could Pay|
|EOS 1DX Mark III||£3,885.00||£1994.00|
|EOS 1DX Mark II||£1,765.00||£4114.00|
|EOS 5D Mark IV||£1,360.00||£4519.00|
Canon EOS R3 Mirrorless Digital Camera Body Summary
Everything about the Canon EOS R3 mirrorless digital camera body is designed for speed, from the new Canon developed stacked back-illuminated full frame sensor with 24 megapixels, right through to USB-C and 5G connectivity. Professional sports, action, wildlife and news photographers gain a groundbreaking option with the R3, simply brimming with the latest Canon technology focused on high speed shooting and getting the competitive advantage. The camera has been designed with a built-in pro sized grip, robust magnesium alloy body as well as familiar ergonomics for those shooting with an EOS-1D X Mark III.
Headline features include superb ISO capabilities, a blackout-free high res EVF and unreal AF capabilities with industry leading subject tracking from the Dual Pixel CMOS AF II system. You can even simply look at your subject and half press the shutter to start tracking it. That is called Eye control AF and works with Humans, Animals and Vehicles for motorsports.
- A stacked back-illuminated full frame sensor with 24 megapixel resolution
- Continuous shooting up to 30fps in Electronic and 12 fps with mechanical shutter
- ISO sensitivity from ISO 100 to 102,400 (expands to ISO 204,800)
- Up to 8-stop IS for rock steady in-body image stabilisation that works in tandem with lens IS
- Eye control AF, sele
- Subject tracking that automatically tracks people, animals
- Fully articulated Vari-Angle screen, 8.2cm, 4,200,000-dot touch capable
- Blackout-free 5,760,000-dot electronic viewfinder with 120fps refresh rate and 100% coverage
- 5GHz WiFi and Bluetooth wireless connectivity for remote control and image transfer
- Built in Wired LAN socket
- 6K/60p 12bit RAW movies with Canon Log 3 and 4K up to 120fps for slow motion playback
- Tough, magnesium alloy body and polycarbonate with glass fibre and pro level dust and water resistance
- Dual card slots with SD UHS-II or CFexpress memory cards
- Powered by a high-capacity LP-E19 battery (same as EOS-1D X Mark III)
- AF in extreme darkness at light levels -7EV or lower
- x3 customisable dials on the body, plus a Lens Control ring on each RF mirrorless lens
Canon EOS R3 Camera Body in More Detail
High quality, at high speed
The EOS R3 is the first EOS series camera to feature an entirely new 35mm full frame back illuminated stacked CMOS sensor developed by Canon. Combined with the power of its DIGIC X imaging processor, professionals using the EOS R3 achieve next-level, high-speed photography and filmmaking. Using the camera you can enjoy 30fps with AF/AE tracking with minimal image distortion (rolling shutter) when using the electronic shutter. This is perfect for the likes of professional sports photographers challenged with capturing action within a fraction of a second.
Impressive tracking of fast-moving action
Professionals can push creative boundaries with pin-sharp accurate tracking and focus on fast-moving action. The EOS R3’s next generation Dual Pixel CMOS AF can track subjects’ eyes, heads and bodies travelling at speed, for unparalleled performance capturing even the finest of details in a split second. What’s more, Canon reveals motorsports tracking with this body, including cars, bikes and driver helmet.
AF control with your eye
The EOS R3 features new and improved technology first seen in Canon’s EOS 5 (see our blog post of the Canon EOS R3 vs EOS 1D X Mark III for more details).
It is the first EOS digital camera to provide a new generation of photographers with ground-breaking Eye Control Function, which enables users to simply select and move the AF point using their eye via the viewfinder. This instinctive feature offers professionals natural and ultra fast control over AF. Reducing the time to focus, which is usually done with a multi-controller/button, this feature is again perfect for photographers looking to capture the most important subject for their frame at speed, whether that’s during a news conference or photographing a team sport. With Eye Control AF2 and Servo AF activated, the camera will focus on and track moving subjects at that location in the frame. When Face Detect + Tracking is active, the camera will continue to follow moving subjects around the entire active AF area
Professional build quality
Inspired by the EOS-1D series the EOS R3 body allows for ultra-intuitive control in the most demanding professional situations. Professionals can expect the same durability with dust and water resistance as found in legendary EOS-1 series Canon DSLR bodies. The camera also has an integrated grip that EOS-1D series users love and trust, with very similar dimensions of 150 x 142.6 x 87.2mm Vs 1DX III : 158 x 167.6 x 82.6mm. With EOS R3, professionals have the confidence to keep on shooting whatever the conditions, whether they are pitch side or poolside, inside or outside, in snow or sunshine.
Fast connection with Canon’s new Mobile File Transfer
The EOS R3 will be fully compatible with Canon’s Mobile File Transfer smartphone app. This provides a new way to transfer images and speed up workflow whilst on the move, using mobile network services and without the need for wired LAN equipment.
RF lens mount with converters for existing DSLR lenses
Use the native RF lens mount or a choice of EF to RF mount adapters: EF TO EOS R Adapter (standard), EF TO EOS R Adapter with control ring, EF TO EOS R Drop in CPL filter Adapter and EF TO EOS R Drop in VND filter Adapter.
The range of native RF lenses is growing with every focal width now covered including three professional super telephoto options: RF 600mm f/4L IS USM, RF 400mm f/2.8L IS USM and RF 100-500mm L IS USM.
What’s in the box
- Canon EOS R3 Camera Body
- Rechargeable Li-ion Battery LP-E19
- Battery charger LC-E19E
It’s worth mentioning the new multi-function hot shoe accessories in particular below, as these cable-free and battery-free designs are a minor revelation. More compact, lighter and no forgotten batteries to charge or cables to dislodge.
- Canon DM-E1D Shoe Stereo Microphone *New hot shoe interface
- Canon ST-E10 Speedlite Transmitter *New hot shoe interface
- Canon LP-E19 Battery - pack as many as you need
- Canon Speedlite EL-1 - arguably the best Canon flashgun at the moment and compatible with the new transmitter
- Control Ring Mount Adapter EF-EOS R - use your existing EF lenses on this body
Canon EOS R3 Sample images
R3 with RF 24-70mm f/2.8 L IS USM at 48mm. 1/4000 sec. f/8. ISO 1600
R3 with RF 100-500mm L IS USM at 472mm. 1/3200 sec. f/7.1. ISO 400
R3 with RF 600mm f/4L IS USM at 600mm. 1/6400 sec. f/8. ISO 3200
R3 with RF 14-35mm f/4L IS USM at 14mm. 1/6400 sec. f/8. ISO 400
Canon EOS R3 Mirrorless Digital Camera Body Specifications
|Type||36 x 24 mm CMOS|
|Effective Pixels||Approx. 24.1 megapixels|
|Total Pixels||Approx. 26.7 megapixels|
|Sensor Cleaning||EOS integrated cleaning system|
|Colour Filter Type||Primary Colour|
|Sensor Shift IS||Yes, up to 8-Stops advantage depending on the lens used|
|Lens Mount||RF (EF and EF-S lenses can be attached using EF TO EOS R ADAPTER, EF TO EOS R ADAPTER WITH CONTROL RING, EF TO EOS R Drop in filter ADAPTER EF-M lenses not compatible)|
|Focal Length||Equivalent to 1.0x the focal length of the lens with RF and EF lenses 1.6x with EF-S|
|Type||Dual Pixel CMOS AF II|
|AF System/Points||With Area 100% horizontal and 100% vertical (Auto selection) 100% horizontal and 90% vertical (manual selection)2|
|AF working range||EV -7.5 – 20 (at 23°C & ISO100)3|
|AF Modes||One Shot, Servo AF|
|AF Tracking||Humans, Animals (Dogs, Cats and Birds) or Vehicles(Racing cars or Motor bikes),|
|AF Lock||Locked when shutter button is pressed halfway or AF ON is pressed in One Shot AF mode. Using customised button set to AF stop in AI servo|
|AF Assist Beam||Emitted by built in LED or optional dedicated Speedlite (flash)|
|Manual Focus||Selected on lens|
|Metering modes||Real-time with image sensor, 384-zone metering.|
|Metering Brightness Range||EV -3 – 20 (at 23°C, ISO100, with evaluative metering)|
|AE Lock||Auto: AE lock takes effect when focus is achieved Manual: By AE lock button in P, Av, Fv, Tv and M modes|
|Exposure Compensation||plus or minus EV in 1/3 or 1/2 stop increments (can be combined with AEB)|
|AEB||plus or minus 3 EV in 1/3 or 1/2 stop increments|
|Anti-flicker shooting||Yes. Flicker detected at a frequency of 100 Hz or 120Hz.|
|ISO Sensitivity||Auto 100-102400 (in 1/3-stop or whole stop increments) ISO can be expanded to L:50, H1:204800|
|Type||Electronically controlled focal-plane shutter and Electronic shutter function in sensor|
|Speed||Mechanical: 30-1/8000 sec (1/2 or 1/3 stop increments), Bulb Electronic: 30-1/64000 (1/2 or 1/3 stop increments up to 1/16000 then 1 stop until 1/64000)|
|Shutter||Release Soft touch electromagnetic release|
|Type||Auto white balance with the imaging sensor|
|Settings||AWB (Ambience priority/White priority), Daylight, Shade, Cloudy, Tungsten light, White Fluorescent light, Flash, Custom, Colour Temperature Setting White balance compensation:|
|Custom White Balance||Yes, 5 setting can be registered|
|WB Bracketing||plus or minus 3 levels in single level increments|
|Type||0.5- inch OLED colour EVF|
|Dot count||5.76 Million dots (1600x1200)|
|Magnification||Approx. 0.76x 5|
|Eyepoint||Approx. 23mm (from eyepiece lens centre)|
|Dioptre correction||-4 to +2 m-1 (dioptre)|
|Depth of field preview||Yes, via customised button|
|Type||8.01 cm (3.2") Clear View LCD II, Approx. 4.15 million dots|
|Viewing Angle horizontally/vertically||Approx. 170° vertically and horizontally|
|Brightness Adjustment||Manual: Adjustable to one of seven levels|
|Touch-screen operations||Capacitive method with menu functions, Quick Control settings, playback operations, and magnified display. AF point selection in still and Movies, touch shutter is possible in still photo shooting.|
|Offer Category: N/A|
|Offer Product Type: N/A|
|Model: Canon EOS R3|
|AE Bracketing: N/A|
|Autofocus Modes: N/A|
|Articulated Screen: N/A|
|Aperture priority: N/A|
|Built-in flash: N/A|
|Battery Life (CIPA): 760|
|Camera CIPA image stabilization rating: N/A|
|Continuous drive (fps): 30.0|
|Custom white balance: Yes|
|Digital zoom: N/A|
|Effective pixels (megapixels): 24|
|Environmental Sealing: N/A|
|Exposure compensation: N/A|
|External flash: Yes|
|Flash range (metres): N/A|
|Focal length (equiv.): N/A|
|Focal length multiplier: N/A|
|Flash modes: N/A|
|HDMI Port: Yes|
|Headphone port: Yes|
|Height (mm): N/A|
|Length (mm): N/A|
|Width (mm): N/A|
|Weight (g): N/A|
|Weight (inc. batteries) (g): N/A|
|Image ratio w:h: N/A|
|Camera Image stabilization: N/A|
|ISO: Auto, 100-102400 (expands to 50-204800)|
|JPEG quality levels: Super fine, fine, normal|
|Live view: N/A|
|Camera Lens mount: N/A|
|Manual exposure mode: N/A|
|Maximum shutter speed (electronic): N/A|
|Maximum ISO: N/A|
|Maximum ISO (boosted): 204800|
|Max resolution: N/A|
|Maximum shutter speed (seconds): N/A|
|Maximum aperture: N/A|
|Manual focus: Yes|
|Microphone port: Yes|
|Camera Minimum focus distance (cm): N/A|
|Minimum ISO: N/A|
|Minimum ISO (boosted): N/A|
|Minimum macro focus distance (cm): N/A|
|Minimum shutter speed (seconds): N/A|
|Metering modes: N/A|
|Number of focus points: 1053|
|Number of white balance presets: N/A|
|Optical zoom multiplier: N/A|
|Orientation sensor: Yes|
|Other resolutions: N/A|
|Processor: Digic X|
|Remote control: Yes|
|Screen dots: 4150000|
|Screen size: N/A|
|Screen type: N/A|
|Shutter priority: N/A|
|Sensor photo detectors (megapixels): N/A|
|Sensor size: N/A|
|Sensor type: N/A|
|Storage types: N/A|
|Subject / scene modes: N/A|
|Timelapse recording: Yes|
|Camera Type: N/A|
|Uncompressed format: N/A|
|Camera USB: N/A|
|USB charging: Yes|
|Viewfinder coverage: N/A|
|Viewfinder magnification: N/A|
|Viewfinder resolution: 5760000|
|Viewfinder type: N/A|
|Video formats: N/A|
|Video Mode Categories: N/A|
|Video Modes: N/A|
|WB Bracketing: N/A|
When Canon releases new mirrorless cameras these days you simply have to sit up and take note, as is the case with the EOS R3, which enters new territory for any type of camera. Canon has combined every possible technology into a professional high speed capable body, which is aimed at enticing their existing DSRL users across to mirrorless, while offering a phenomenal upgrade to anyone considering a sports and wildlife body. It’s all about speed across the board and it simply blows you away. From start-up times to high speed shutter and frame rates, a high speed blackout-free EVF, high speed Dual Pixel CMOS AF II, even high speed 4K/120p video through to high speed USB-C and 5G connectivity. There is simply no confusion on any single element that Canon is pulling out all the stops with this pro camera.
Anyone new to the EOS R system will be astonished by the highly effective body IS, particularly when combined with key RF lenses. Up to 8-stop stabilisation has proven to be accurate with other cameras in the line-up and the gains are extremely welcome for any subject. When you simply have to get the shot, other tools are also available, including industry leading AF tracking which now includes motorsports as well as Human and Animal Face and Eye detection. Canon’s reinvention of Eye control AF is also groundbreaking, offering a completely new way of subject acquisition, which will only get better with refinement.
A pro sized grip, LP-E19 battery compatibility, weather sealing and a new multi-functional hot shoe are little touches to ensure everyone is more than happy switching to the R3. If you need speed, this is the ultimate choice whatever camera you currently use.
Writing your review
Sign In / Register
Existing Customer Login
If you are already a member, fill in the details below to login & view your account.
New Customer Signup
Create an account with Park CamerasRegister
- Like New – The equipment is in a condition as if you have just bought it from the manufacturer. The item is still considered to be ‘Like New’ even without the original packaging. The product has been fully tested and is in perfect working order.
- Excellent – The equipment should be close to being ‘Like New’ but there may be some small cosmetic blemishes that lower its grade. The product has been fully tested and is in perfect excellent order.
- Cameras – Should have no marks on the LCD screen
- Lenses – Should have no marks on the elements or dust within the lens
- Very Good – The equipment may have some slight cosmetic wear to the paintwork and cosmetic blemishes with only light signs of use and the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – The LCD screen may have small signs of wear that does not affect its display
- Lenses – The mount of the lens will start to show signs of wear
- Good – The equipment is showing more obvious signs of cosmetic wear and blemishes, but the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – LCD screen may have scratches or wear that is starting to affect the display.
- Lenses – May have slight dust inside that does not affect images. The mount shows signs of use.
- Well Used – The equipment will show significant signs of wear. The paintwork will be coming away in large areas exposing the metal work, but the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – LCD screen is heavily worn either by de-lamination or has scratches to it. Rubber grips are starting to come away from the body.
- Lenses – The lens has dust inside that may affect images. The rubber zoom/focus ring is coming away from the barrel of the lens.