Sony FE 50mm f/1.2 GM Lens
The Sony FE 50mm GM (SEL50F12GM) is a premium full frame G Master prime lens for photo and video which features ultra fast AF motors (x4) and 11 bladed bright f/1.2 aperture for beautiful circular bokeh
- Fastest 50mm lens for Sony full frame users with professional quality results for photos and videos
- Incredibly sharp, high resolving optics with corner to corner sharpness and high resolution detail
- Ultra bright aperture combined with 11 rounded blades creates beautiful, soft defocus backgrounds
- Four XD Linear Motors capture and track subjects relentlessly for both photography and videography
- Versatile focal width with good close-up capabilities suitable for a wide range of subjects
Sony FE 50mm f/1.2 GM Lens Summary
Introducing the Sony FE 50mm f/1.2 GM Lens, the fastest 50mm prime in the full frame E Mount lens range at the time of launch in 2021. When we say fastest we mean in every respect, from the ultra bright f/1.2 aperture to four high speed XD (Extreme Dynamic) Linear Motors with outstanding subject acquisition and tracking performance. This allows the lens to work seamlessly with high speed AF for videos and photographic subjects, creating a truly premium hybrid prime lens.
With the bright aperture users will be able to achieve beautiful circular bokeh when making portraits or capturing other subjects such as street photography scenes. Other genres which lend themselves to this versatile focal width include travel, landscapes, starscapes and of course videography, ideal for users across the entire content creation spectrum.
Features at a glance
- Three XA (extreme aspherical) elements ensure outstanding resolution with minimal chromatic aberration
- Circular 11-blade aperture creates beautiful background bokeh defocus effects
- F/1.2 aperture makes this the fastest 50mm lens for Sony full frame users
- New Nano AR Coating II minimises internal reflections so that flare and ghosting are reduced
- Four XD (Extreme Dynamic) Linear Motors deliver faster and more accurate focusing than conventional lenses for both photography and videography
- Professional G Master quality includes dust and moisture resistance along with lens barrel controls suited to indoor and outdoor work
A complex optical design with internal focusing includes 14 elements arranged into 10 groups with three XA (extreme aspherical) elements and Sony’s new Nano AR Coating II. The results are spectacular delivering high contrast, high resolution with extremely well controlled ghosting and flare, eminently worthy of the G Master name. For videographers internal focus ensures minimal focus breathing, whilst a de-clicked aperture ring allows film makers to switch off audible clicks when recording movies. Professional use is further enhanced through the inclusion of weather resistance along with lens controls for a streamlined workflow.
Sony FE 50mm f/1.2 GM Lens in More Detail
Three XA (extreme aspherical) elements ensure outstanding resolution and sharpness, delivering high resolution with beautiful bokeh throughout the frame, particularly suited to portraits, landscapes, starscapes and videography.
A circular 11-blade large f/1.2 aperture creates creamy circular bokeh defocus effects helping to isolate a sharp subject from their background.
Sony’s new Nano AR Coating II effectively minimises internal reflections so that flare and ghosting do not occur when using this lens, even under direct sunlight or when the subject is backlit.
Four XD Linear Motors with a complex construction deliver fast and accurate focusing for both photography and videography.
A dust and moisture resistant design, along with versatile controls on the lens makes the 50mm f/1.2 GM ideal indoors or outdoors, even when used in the most challenging environments.
Close-ups can be captured as close as 40cm and the lens provides a 0.17 magnification ratio along with 47° angle of view, making for a versatile performer across a number of genres.
If you are considering this lens, we reviewed and compared it to other models in our blog post here: Sony 50mm f 1.2 GM Lens Review.
What’s in the box
- Sony FE 50mm f/1.2 GM Lens
- Lens Hood ALC-SH163
- Lens front cap ALC-F72S
- Lens rear cap ALC-R1EM
- Soft case
- 72mm B+W XS-Pro Digital ND Vario MRC Nano Filter Single 1-5 stop variable ND filter
- Hoya 72mm ProND Filter Kit - Ideal kit for movies and long exposures with x3 filters
- Hoya Revo SMC 72mm Circular Polarising Filter - Cut glare and reflections with this high quality filter
- Hoya 72mm Ultra Pro UV Filter - This filter reduces UV light whilst protecting the front element
Sony FE 50mm f/1.2 GM Lens Sample images
Mounted on Sony A1. Focal length: 50mm. Exposure: 1/1250. f/1.2 ISO 100
Mounted on Sony a7R IV. Focal length: 50mm. Exposure: 1/2500. f/1.2 ISO 320
Mounted on Sony a7R IV. Focal length: 50mm. Exposure: 1/3200. f/1.2 ISO 100
|Lens mount||Sony E-mount|
|Format||35mm full frame|
|35mm equivalent focal-length (APS-C) (mm)||75|
|Lens construction (groups-elements)||44483|
|Angle of view (APS-C)*1||32°|
|Angle of view (35mm)||47°|
|Maximum aperture (F)||F1.2|
|Minimum aperture (F)||F16|
|Number of aperture blade||11|
|Minimum focus distance (m)||0.4|
|Minimum focus distance (ft)||1.32|
|Maximum magnification ratio (x)||0.17|
|Filter diameter (mm)||72|
|Image stabilization (SteadyShot)||- (body-integrated)|
|Teleconverter compatibility (x1.4)||Incompatible|
|Teleconverter compatibility (x2.0)||Incompatible|
|Hood type||Round shape, bayonet type|
|Dimensions dia. x length (mm)||87×108|
|Dimensions dia. x length (in.)||3-1/2 x 4-3/8|
|Weight (approx.) (g)||778|
|Weight (approx.) (oz.)||27.5|
Sony’s experience in designing high quality lenses has culminated in this 38th full frame model boasting the familiar red mark associated with professional GM lenses. 14 optical elements (including three extreme aspherical) are arranged into 10 groups ensuring photographers and videographers of any level will be delighted with their FE 50mm f/1.2 GM performance. As content creators work in ever lower light levels Sony has responded with this extremely compelling offering, with a bright aperture and no less than four silent fast-focus motors. Thanks to these features the 50mm f/1.2 is destined to be used as much with Sony professional broadcast cameras as mounted on their mirrorless camera range.
Videographers require optics with minimal focus breathing as well as fast Autofocus and a bright aperture, and Sony delivers across these requirements without breaking a sweat. Advanced Face / Eye phase-detect works seamlessly and the lens simply keeps up with any subject, delivering sharp results time and again. At 778g users will appreciate the solid feel of this prime option, which is par for the course with an f/1.2 aperture lens. Although this is fairly weighty it balances perfectly with Sony’s arsenal of full frame cameras and pro video cameras.
If you crave speed in a versatile standard focal width prime coupled with premium performance, look no further than this new G Master prime lens.
Writing your review
Sign In / Register
Existing Customer Login
If you are already a member, fill in the details below to login & view your account.
New Customer Signup
Create an account with Park CamerasRegister
- Like New – The equipment is in a condition as if you have just bought it from the manufacturer. The item is still considered to be ‘Like New’ even without the original packaging. The product has been fully tested and is in perfect working order.
- Excellent – The equipment should be close to being ‘Like New’ but there may be some small cosmetic blemishes that lower its grade. The product has been fully tested and is in perfect excellent order.
- Cameras – Should have no marks on the LCD screen
- Lenses – Should have no marks on the elements or dust within the lens
- Very Good – The equipment may have some slight cosmetic wear to the paintwork and cosmetic blemishes with only light signs of use and the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – The LCD screen may have small signs of wear that does not affect its display
- Lenses – The mount of the lens will start to show signs of wear
- Good – The equipment is showing more obvious signs of cosmetic wear and blemishes, but the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – LCD screen may have scratches or wear that is starting to affect the display.
- Lenses – May have slight dust inside that does not affect images. The mount shows signs of use.
- Well Used – The equipment will show significant signs of wear. The paintwork will be coming away in large areas exposing the metal work, but the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – LCD screen is heavily worn either by de-lamination or has scratches to it. Rubber grips are starting to come away from the body.
- Lenses – The lens has dust inside that may affect images. The rubber zoom/focus ring is coming away from the barrel of the lens.