Sony FE 300mm f/2.8 GM OSS Lens
The Sony FE 300mm f/2.8 GM OSS Lens arrives as the final telephoto prime for professional sports photography, which combines a lightweight design with speed, legendary G Master image quality and reliability.
- The world’s lightest 300mm f/2.8 prime lens at launch, which combines speed with portability, and refined handling
- Legendary G Master optics offer exquisite performance, with high resolution edge-to-edge detail and soft, rounded bokeh
- Well balanced design constructed from weight-saving durable magnesium alloy, which is refined for handheld shooting
- Extensive controls to customise your workflow, which includes a control ring that can be set to switch between full-frame / APS-C
- Compatible with Sony teleconverters whilst offering full AF tracking down to f/22 in all continuous shooting modes
Sony FE 300mm f/2.8 GM OSS Lens Summary
With the arrival of the Sony FE 300mm f/2.8 GM OSS Lens, the wait is over for the final telephoto prime for sports photography to join the Sony mirrorless lens range. It sits between the 135mm f/1.8 and 400mm f/2.8, catering to all intermediate range sporting events from tennis to track, football to horse racing and gymnastics.
With this calibre of large aperture G Master prime, users can expect the pinnacle of Sony’s optical engineering with excellent image quality, high build quality and user-friendly features to customise their workflow. The compact lens maintains superb resolution across the frame, while two XD linear motors provide fast, precise, quiet AF and tracking.
Despite its compact proportions the FE 300mm f/2.8 offers extensive control through its function ring, four customisable focus hold buttons, a focus limiter as well as additional features such as the drop-in filter holder. Optical steady shot reduces the reliance on a monopod or tripod support, while full time DMF supports focus fine-tuning at all times.
To meet the needs of rigorous professional use, the 300mm prime includes a dust and moisture resistant design, a fluorine coating, and durable magnesium internal components. Whichever environment you’re in, Sony has ensured that the FE 300mm f/2.8 GM OSS lens performs flawlessly, from blistering AF performance through stability and image sharpness.
Key Sony FE 300mm f/2.8 GM OSS Lens Features
- Essential G Master prime for sports and wildlife photographers
- At 1470g (excluding tripod mount) this is the lightest lens in its class
- High resolving power and bokeh which pops
- Two XD linear motors deliver lightning quick and precise AF
- Precise AF tracking down to f/22
- Compatible with Sony 1.4x and 2.0x teleconverter
- Optical image stabilisation built-in
- Extensive customisation and control
- Full time DMF (Direct Manual Focus)
- Linear response MF
- 11-blade circular aperture
- Supports photography and videography creators
- Fluorine coating, dust and moisture resistant design
- Drop-in 40.5mm filter holder
Sony FE 300mm f/2.8 GM OSS Lens in More Detail
G Master optical quality
Capture high resolution results and bokeh that can make images pop with the wide maximum f/2.8 aperture and a medium telephoto focal width. GM optics exhibit corner-to-corner resolution, with extremely well controlled flare and ghosting due to Nano AR II coating, for crystal clear results, even in challenging lighting.
Sony’s use of Super ED and ED glass elements subdue chromatic aberration, and are arranged into an optical design comprising of 20 elements in 16 groups (including one filter).
The combination of a single Extra-low Dispersion (ED) glass element and three Super ED elements dramatically improves chromatic aberration at telephoto ranges, while reducing the weight of the lens.
11 circular aperture blades
Bring your subject into sharp focus with creamy background blur and rounded bokeh from the combination of spherical aberration control, bright maximum aperture and the 11-bladed circular aperture unit. These technologies contribute to breathtaking results, delivered by this premium G Master lens.
You can add either of the Sony teleconverters to extend the focal width of the 300mm lens to 420mm with the Sony 1.4x Teleconverter Lens | SEL14TC, and 600mm when using the 2.0x Teleconverter Lens | SEL20TC.
While increasing telephoto versatility the teleconverters maintain high resolution, providing greater reach and high tracking performance. The maximum aperture will be f/5.6 and f/8 when mounting the 1.4x and 2.0x TCs respectively, however AF continues to work down to an impressive f/22.
Capture decisive sporting moments and fast moving wildlife
It becomes easier than ever to capture decisive action with the Sony FE 300mm f/2.8 GM OSS Lens, thanks to fast and precise AF tracking, all the way down to f/22 for continuous shooting. The lens provides more keepers whether working with the flagship alpha 1, high resolution A7R V, the new Sony A9 III, or any other Sony mirrorless camera.
Users are able to photograph continuously while panning to follow moving subjects, or stop down to achieve a greater depth of field, without having to worry about aperture limitations, even when photographing with a TC.
Class-leading balanced and lightweight design
With a weight of just 1470g (excluding the removable tripod foot), the Sony FE 300mm lens is the lightest 300mm f/2.8 available at launch. Its design was created in response to feedback from professional photographers who value weight savings and ideal balance while in the field, which provides reduced weight and inertia for easier shooting and transport.
Sony achieved low weight and balance by reducing the number of lens elements at the front, and by using durable magnesium alloy for internal components.
The lens measures just 122mm at the front end, by 265mm length, which enables it to be slung at the ready on a second body, without excessive size and weight.
Monopod vs handheld
Although it can be used with a monopod, the FE 300mm f/2.8 GM OSS lends itself to handheld shooting thanks to its low weight, excellent balance and optical image stabilisation. Handheld photography is easier for panning across a wider field of view at a wider axis, and easier when shooting vertically in response to action on a court for example.
Agile handling and manoeuvrability
To further meet the needs of professional sports and wildlife photographers, Sony carefully design this telephoto lens to provide versatile handling and agile manoeuvrability.
When engaged by the full time DMF switch, users are able to immediately override the lens AF by simply rotating the focus ring, in any AF mode – AF-A/S/C. This can prove invaluable in several situations, such as when you want to gain focus from near to far, or when you want to push past an obstacle, after which you can let Face/Eye detection take over once again.
A function ring is included, which can directly control the power focus or be assigned to control APS-C/Full frame switching from a compatible body.
- Power focus is the default setting, which initiates constant speed focusing in the specified direction.
- APS-C/Full frame is selected in the camera menu, and once assigned, rotating the ring will instantly select between full-frame and APS-C mode, effectively adjusting the focal width to 450mm.
Highly versatile controls
Professional workflows and adaptability are required to respond to fast-paced action and changeable conditions. These are handled through an extensive list of controls found on the lens barrel, such as:
- Function ring
- Four customisable focus hold buttons
- Focus range limiter
- Full-time DMF
- AF/MF switch
- Linear response MF focus ring
- Tripod collar ring with 90º click stops, lock and release
Drop-in filter holder
A drop-in filter slot accepts 40.5mm filter types, as well as the optional VF-DCPL1 crop-in circular polarising filter, which can be rotated during shooting.
After loosening the clamp knob, the tripod foot can be positioned as desired, and removed entirely to reduce weight. One 1/4-inch and one 3/8-inch holes are both provided on the tripod mount.
Dust and moisture resistant structure with Fluorine coat
Sony includes a comprehensive number of rubber seals around controls, moving parts and to the E-mount in order to keep dirt, dust and moisture at bay when shooting in tough environments with the 300mm f/2.8 GM OSS lens.
A fluorine coating has also been applied to help prevent dirt and fingerprints adhering to the front element, whilst also making it easier to wipe away debris, when cleaning the lens.
Magnesium alloy internal barrels
Durable magnesium alloy internal components and other refinements maximise the durability of this lens, while simultaneously reducing overall weight.
A new lock-type lens hood and a new soft case are also included with the lens.
With popular modern platforms many photographers capture video clips of their subject alongside stills images. The Sony FE 300mm f/2.8 GM OSS Lens supports videography through a number of movie-orientated features, including:
- Refined optics offer high resolving power with beautiful bokeh, to draw out the benefits of high resolution sensors
- A balanced weight distribution errs to the aft, placing the majority of weight over the middle of the lens, above the tripod foot area. This centre of gravity enables handheld video shooting, as well as from a gimbal stabiliser or large rig.
- Smooth silent AF is provided by the low vibration AF drive, for silent operation when filmmaking
- Image stabilisation coordinated with the camera body provides highly effective stabilisation, allowing you to record video handheld with ease
- Linear response AF offers fine, responsive manual focus control
What’s in the box
- Sony FE 300mm f/2.8 GM OSS Lens
- New lock-type lens hood ALC-SH175
- Lens front cap
- Lens rear cap
- Tripod mount
- Lens strap
- New soft case
Sony FE 300mm f/2.8 GM OSS Lens Specifications
35mm full frame
35mm equivalent focal-length (APS-C)
Lens Groups / Elements
17-21 *Including one filter
Angle of view (APS-C)
Angle of View (35mm)
Maximum aperture (F)
Minimum Aperture (F)
Minimum Focus Distance
Minimum Focus Distance
Maximum Magnification ratio (x)
Filter Diameter (mm)
Image stabilization (SteadyShot)
Teleconverter compatibility (x1.4)
Teleconverter compatibility (x2.0)
Round shape, bayonet type
Dimensions (Diameter x Length)
124 x 265
Dimensions (Diameter x Length)
5 x 10-1/2
1470 (Without tripod mount)
|Offer Category: N/A|
|Offer Product Type: N/A|
|Aperture ring: N/A|
|Constant Aperture: Yes|
|Lens CIPA Image stabilization rating: N/A|
|Diameter (mm): N/A|
|Length (mm): N/A|
|Weight (g): N/A|
|Distance scale: N/A|
|DoF scale: N/A|
|Environmental Sealing: N/A|
|Focus distance limiter: N/A|
|Focal length: N/A|
|Focus method: N/A|
|Filter Thread: N/A|
|Full time manual: N/A|
|Hood supplied: N/A|
|Lens Image stabilization: N/A|
|Lens mount: N/A|
|Lens Materials: N/A|
|Maximum focal length: N/A|
|Maximum magnification: N/A|
|Maximum aperture (number): N/A|
|Maximum aperture (text): N/A|
|Max Format size: N/A|
|Minimum focal length: N/A|
|Lens Minimum focus distance (m): N/A|
|Minimum aperture (number): N/A|
|Minimum aperture (text): N/A|
|Motor type: N/A|
|Number of diaphragm blades: N/A|
|Power zoom: N/A|
|Special elements / coatings: N/A|
|Tripod collar: N/A|
|Lens type: N/A|
|Lens Level: N/A|
|Best For: N/A|
|Zoom lock: N/A|
|Zoom method: N/A|
The launch of the Sony FE 300mm f/2.8 GM OSS Lens will be welcome by all sorts of professional photographers, whether they capture local sporting events, the Olympics, or elusive wildlife. Through a combination of high speed AF, reliable build, versatile handling, and of course Sony’s renowned GM optics, photographers and filmmakers can expect premium results from every assignment.
The lens arrives as the lightest 300mm in its class, with a compact size providing excellent balance for handheld stills or video recording, and a centre of balance designed for manoeuvrability. The optical design renders high levels of detail through cutting-edge lens elements and coatings, which reduce flare, ghosting, and negate chromatic aberrations.
You can separate your subject from background distractions with greater precision thanks to the 11-blade rounded aperture unit, which renders beautiful defocus and round bokeh.
Two fast and silent linear focus motors deliver responsive AF, and the lens will maintain AF tracking down to f/22, facilitating the use of teleconverters when required. You can also punch into the action instantly by assigning the control ring to switch between APS-C/full-frame modes, providing an effective focal width of 450mm in APS-C crop mode, through to 600mm when a 2.0x TC is attached.
There are extensive controls on the lens barrel, build quality is typical of professional GM lenses, and this telephoto is well protected from dust and moisture through a comprehensive arrangement of rubber seals.
Where there was once a gap in Sony’s professional sports line-up, there is now the 300mm f/2.8 GM OSS Lens, which will take your editor by surprise, when you deliver breathtaking images from a 300mm intermediate telephoto range.
For those wanting to exchange unwanted equipment in favour of this telephoto prime, why not try our fast and free trade-in service, which takes all of the hassle out of selling your lens.
Would you like to give any feedback about this page?Complete our feedback form
Writing your review
Sign In / Register
Existing Customer Login
If you are already a member, fill in the details below to login & view your account.
New Customer Signup
Create an account with Park CamerasRegister
Our used products are subject to wear and tear in comparison to brand new products. This also applies to accessories that are supplied with the camera including batteries which may have a lower optimum performance level/life expectancy.
- Like New – The equipment is in a condition as if you have just bought it from the manufacturer. The item is still considered to be ‘Like New’ even without the original packaging and accessories. The product has been fully tested and is in perfect working order. Lenses are optically clear. There may be light dust present that will not effect the imagery.
- Excellent – The equipment should be close to being ‘Like New’ but there may be some small cosmetic blemishes that lower its grade. The product has been fully tested and is in perfect excellent order.
- Cameras – Should have no marks on the LCD screen
- Lenses – Should have no marks on the elements and optically clear. There may be light dust present that will not effect the imagery.
- Very Good – The equipment may have some slight cosmetic wear to the paintwork and cosmetic blemishes with only light signs of use and the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – The LCD screen may have small signs of wear that does not affect its display
- Lenses – The mount of the lens will start to show signs of wear
- Good – The equipment is showing more obvious signs of cosmetic wear and blemishes, but the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – LCD screen may have scratches or wear that is starting to affect the display.
- Lenses – May have slight dust inside that does not affect images. The mount shows signs of use.
- Well Used – The equipment will show significant signs of wear. The paintwork will be coming away in large areas exposing the metal work, but the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – LCD screen is heavily worn either by de-lamination or has scratches to it. Rubber grips are starting to come away from the body.
- Lenses – The lens has dust inside that may affect images. The rubber zoom/focus ring is coming away from the barrel of the lens.
*All of our used items are listed with the accesories that are included. If they are not listed then they will not be supplied at eh epoint of purchase.