Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG DN OS Sports Lens for Sony E
The Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG DN OS Sports Lens for Sony E is compatible with high speed Sony AF systems, has 4-stops built-in stabilisation and a host of professional features with exceptional results.
- Exceptional optical performance throughout the zoom range with a ground-up design for mirrorless
- Fast and quiet AF mechanism for fast moving super telephoto subjects harnessing Sony’s renowned AF system
- Intuitive and customisable controls with dual action zoom to cater for professional workflows
- Built-in optical stabilisation and compact size to assist with handheld shooting at slower speeds
- Excellent compression, beautiful bokeh from 9-blade aperture and strong flare control with higher contrast
Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG DN OS Sports Lens for Sony E-Mount Summary
The impressive new Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG DN OS Sports Lens for Sony E-Mount arrives completely designed from the ground up for full frame Sony mirrorless photographers and videographers. This professional quality super telephoto zoom incorporates Sigma’s latest technology to join their Sports line-up of lenses, aimed at not just sports, but also wildlife, action and bird photographers. With a super telephoto reach Sigma has ensured this model delivers uncompromising optical performance throughout the zoom range, along with attention to compression, bokeh, ghosting and flare.
The 150-600mm Sports lens combines high precision AF, which is fully compatible with Sony’s Autofocus systems, with impressive functionality aimed to enhance your workflow and excellent build quality as required for demanding ‘ultra-telephoto’ subjects.
- Professional optical performance throughout aperture and zoom range
- Attractive compression and beautiful bokeh with 9-blade rounded diaphragm
- High resistance to ghosting and flare
- Up to 4-stops lens based image stabilisation
- Fast quiet autofocus with stepping motor and magnetic sensor compatible with Sony AF
- Dual action zoom design
- Numerous control switches and programmable buttons
- Detachable magnesium tripod socket with Arca Swiss-type clamp
- Dust and splash resistant structure with oil repellent front element
- Minimum focusing distance of just 58cm at the wide end
A complex new optical design exclusively for mirrorless cameras incorporates 25 elements in 15 groups, with 4 FLD and 2 SLD elements. These render excellent sharpness and minimal aberrations together with well controlled ghosting and flare for high contrast images even in backlit situations. Sigma’s dual action zoom (also found in the 100-400mm f/5-6.3 Contemporary lens) lets you choose your zoom style according to the situation, with adjustable resistance thanks to a new Zoom Torque switch.
Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 DG DN OS | Sports Lens for Sony E in More Detail
Uncompromising optical performance
You can expect professional results from the 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG DN OS Sports Lens, throughout the zoom range and across all apertures, which are notably bright for a lens of this type. Optical aberrations are well controlled by the new design, which harnesses 25 elements arranged in 15 groups with high-performance glass mixed in. This allows the lens to keep pace with even high resolution Sony sensors to render excellent sharpness with clear details. You’ll see this sharpness right through to the maximum 600mm zoom, being a trait for which Sigma lenses have garnered a formidable reputation.
Sigma also paid considerable attention to out of focus areas for the 150-600mm f/5-6.3 Sports lens, including a 9-blade rounded diaphragm that renders extremely pleasing bokeh. If you shoot backlit subjects you’ll notice well controlled ghosting and flare with the lens maintaining contrast and sharpness despite difficult conditions.
Super telephoto lenses can be extremely versatile with the ability to capture tele-macro and close-up detailed images or videos. To this end the 150-600mm includes a very useful maximum magnification ratio of 1:2.9 at 180mm and you can also shoot impressively close at 58cm at 150mm down to 280cm at 600mm.
High-precision AF and pro-level functionality
Sigma’s Sports range is designed with professional users in mind and the 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG DN OS includes their very latest technology to capture fast moving subjects accurately. The lens combines fast and quiet internal focusing with excellent tracking of moving subjects from an AF actuator controlled by a stepping motor. There’s also a high-precision magnetic sensor that enables highly accurate positioning to assist with fast and accurate AF. Fine tuning focus on difficult subjects is supported by DMF and AF+MF, appealing to those who shoot birds in foliage for example.
Optical image stabilisation offers around 4-stops of compensation to compensate when handholding at slower shutter speeds. An OS switch along with custom mode switches also allow the user to change between settings to suit different shooting situations. A focus limiter switch caters for subject distance to speed up AF performance and there are also three customisable AFL buttons.
A Dual Action Zoom mechanism supports both straight zooming and ring zooming, allowing you to change the angle of view in a quick and intuitive way to suit your style of working. You can also change the resistance with a new Zoom Torque switch and there’s a useful lock to eliminate any creep.
Robust build quality
If you’re shooting at these types of super telephoto focal lengths the chances are you’ll encounter the weather at some time or other. With this in mind Sigma has made the 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG DN OS Sports Lens as robust as possible, complementing Sony bodies. These measures include a dust and splash resistant structure with a water and oil repellent coating applied to the front element. The lens body utilises aluminium and TSC parts (Thermally Stable Composite). TSC ensures the lens works consistently at different temperatures, acting in a similar way to aluminium.
Other features and specs
Great results are delivered without the need for editing through camera-based lens aberration corrections. The included lens hood (LH1034-01) is long enough to reduce the amount of stray light entering the lens, aiding with contrast and reducing ghosting or flare. As with all of Sigma’s professional lenses you’ll find a durable brass bayonet mount together with an overall package with ‘Made in Japan’ quality craftsmanship.
For the focal reach which this zoom can achieve it remains extremely compact measuring 109.4mm×263.6mm and weighing 2.1kg. The filter thread is 95mm for those who add lens filters into their shooting style.
Why not take a read of our blog post about this New Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG DN OS Sports Lens with loads of image samples and 100% crops to ogle and a lot more info.
What’s in the box
- Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG DN OS Sports Lens for Sony E-Mount
- Cover Hood (LH1034-01)
- Cover Lens Cap (LC-747E)
- Shoulder Strap
- Tripod Socket (TS-121)
- Front Cap (LCF-95 III)
- Rear Cap (LCR II)
- Tripod Socket TS-81 - this foot includes a longer rail than the included TS-121 to adjust the centre of gravity of the lens
- Sigma WR Ceramic Protector Filter 95mm - stronger, thinner and lighter protection for the front element
- Sigma 95mm WR Protector - more cost effective lens protection without ceramic strength
- Sigma 95mm WR UV filter - at super telephoto lengths the effects of UV light can become more apparent which this filter combats
- Sigma 95mm WR CPL - a circular polariser for outdoor shooting
- Think Tank Lens Changer 150-600 V3.0 - store and protect this telephoto with an excellent lens case
Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG DN OS Sports Lens for Sony E Specifications
|Lens construction||15 groups, 25 elements (4 FLD and 2 SLD)|
|Angle of view||16.4° (W) - 4.1° (T)|
|Number of diaphragm blades||9 (rounded diaphragm)|
|Minimum focusing distance||58cm (W) – 280cm (T)|
|Maximum magnification ratio||1:2.9 (at a focusing distance of 180mm)|
|Dimensions (Maximum Diameter x Length)||φ109.4mm×263.6mm|
|Weight||2,100g (tripod socket included)|
|Offer Category: N/A|
|Offer Product Type: N/A|
|Aperture ring: N/A|
|Constant Aperture: N/A|
|Lens CIPA Image stabilization rating: N/A|
|Diameter (mm): N/A|
|Length (mm): N/A|
|Weight (g): N/A|
|Distance scale: N/A|
|DoF scale: N/A|
|Environmental Sealing: N/A|
|Focus distance limiter: N/A|
|Focal length: N/A|
|Focus method: N/A|
|Filter Thread: N/A|
|Full time manual: N/A|
|Hood supplied: N/A|
|Lens Image stabilization: N/A|
|Lens mount: N/A|
|Lens Materials: N/A|
|Maximum focal length: N/A|
|Maximum magnification: N/A|
|Maximum aperture (number): 5.00|
|Maximum aperture (text): N/A|
|Max Format size: N/A|
|Minimum focal length: N/A|
|Lens Minimum focus distance (m): N/A|
|Minimum aperture (number): 6.30|
|Minimum aperture (text): N/A|
|Motor type: N/A|
|Number of diaphragm blades: N/A|
|Power zoom: N/A|
|Special elements / coatings: N/A|
|Tripod collar: N/A|
|Lens type: N/A|
|Lens Level: N/A|
|Best For: N/A|
|Zoom lock: N/A|
|Zoom method: N/A|
We are starting to see more super telephoto options for Sony E-Mount as the Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG DN OS Sports Lens joins the foray. It arrives to collective jubilation from photographers and videographers who shoot at these lengths. The lens has been designed from the ground up capitalising on Sigma’s extensive optical experience combined with full compatibility with Sony’s highly competent AF systems. Focusing is incredibly quick and quiet, using a stepping motor and magnetic sensor, providing excellent subject tracking well suited to its Sports moniker.
An effective optical design pays as much attention to gaining sharp, high contrast results as it does to out of focus areas and bokeh. Isolating the subject is a desirable aim for many subjects which fall into the remit of this type of zoom lens and results are consistently spot on. Similarly you’ll find your results demonstrate well controlled aberrations, ghosting and flare with high quality images and video throughout the aperture and zoom range.
As a professional Sports model we also see a large number of lens barrel controls, including three customisable AFL buttons. Controls range from focus mode selector and focus limiter options to OS and a Torque switch, enabling users to refine and enhance their workflow for any telephoto subjects. The addition of Sigma’s dual zoom system provides a versatile solution for ultra quick zooming in certain situations where we want to focus our attention on close to distant subjects quickly. The addition of weather resistance, image stabilisation, a temperature resistant casing and an Arca-type compatible foot combine to give Sony users an exceptional super telephoto option.
Would you like to give any feedback about this page?Complete our feedback form
Writing your review
Sign In / Register
Existing Customer Login
If you are already a member, fill in the details below to login & view your account.
New Customer Signup
Create an account with Park CamerasRegister
Our used products are subject to wear and tear in comparison to brand new products. This also applies to accessories that are supplied with the camera including batteries which may have a lower optimum performance level/life expectancy.
- Like New – The equipment is in a condition as if you have just bought it from the manufacturer. The item is still considered to be ‘Like New’ even without the original packaging and accessories. The product has been fully tested and is in perfect working order.
- Excellent – The equipment should be close to being ‘Like New’ but there may be some small cosmetic blemishes that lower its grade. The product has been fully tested and is in perfect excellent order.
- Cameras – Should have no marks on the LCD screen
- Lenses – Should have no marks on the elements or dust within the lens
- Very Good – The equipment may have some slight cosmetic wear to the paintwork and cosmetic blemishes with only light signs of use and the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – The LCD screen may have small signs of wear that does not affect its display
- Lenses – The mount of the lens will start to show signs of wear
- Good – The equipment is showing more obvious signs of cosmetic wear and blemishes, but the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – LCD screen may have scratches or wear that is starting to affect the display.
- Lenses – May have slight dust inside that does not affect images. The mount shows signs of use.
- Well Used – The equipment will show significant signs of wear. The paintwork will be coming away in large areas exposing the metal work, but the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – LCD screen is heavily worn either by de-lamination or has scratches to it. Rubber grips are starting to come away from the body.
- Lenses – The lens has dust inside that may affect images. The rubber zoom/focus ring is coming away from the barrel of the lens.
*All of our used items are listed with the accesories that are included. If they are not listed then they will not be supplied at eh epoint of purchase.