Sigma 100-400mm f/5-6.3 DG DN OS Contemporary - Sony E-mount
The ultra sharp Sigma 100-400mm f/5-6.3 Contemporary lens for full-frame Sony E mount (FE) features a dual-action zoom, optical stabiliser and focus limiter with manual override in a lightweight form.
- Compact and lightweight lens weighing just 1,140g. with a huge focal range
- A dual-action zoom system with straight zoom and ring zoom for quick subject acquisition
- Powerful built-in image stabilisation (OS), which provides up to a four-stop advantage
- Advanced optical design for uncompromising quality with 22 elements in 16 groups, 1 FLD and 4 SLD elements
- Versatile with short focusing distance of 112cm at 100mm or 160cm at 400mm for close-up photography
Sigma 100-400mm f/5-6.3 DG DN OS Contemporary Lens Sony E Mount summary
Introducing SIGMA’s first ultra-telephoto zoom lens for full-frame Sony mirrorless cameras. This ultra-sharp, ‘handy tele master’ empowers your photographic vision anytime, anywhere.
- SIGMA's 5th DG DN lens, designed for E-Mount full-frame mirrorless cameras
- Uncompromising image quality
- lightweight and compact lens body, weighing in at 1,135g (L-Mount) or 1,140g (E-mount)
- A dual-action zoom system with straight zoom and ring zoom
- Two-mode Optical Stabilizer offering a four-stop advantage
- Focus limiter switch and customisable AFL button
- Ability to change manual focus ring travel to suit shooting style (USB dock required, L-Mount only)
- Short focusing distance of 112cm at 100mm or 160cm at 400mm for close-up photography
- Tripod socket attachment for better balance (socket sold separately – TS-111)
Sigma 100-400mm f/5-6.3 DG DN OS Contemporary Lens Sony E Mount in detail
Introducing the SIGMA 100-400mm F5-6.3 DG DN OS Contemporary, a long-awaited, ultra-telephoto zoom lens designed as an E-mount lens. With optical performance and functionality that deliver professional-quality results, all packed into a lightweight and compact body, this versatile, ultra-telephoto zoom is the perfect lens for both dedicated field photography and casual outings. The lens will be available from 10 July 2020.
State-of-the-art optical technology ensures very high-resolution results right to the edges of the frame, as well as high-contrast images throughout the entire focal range. A rounded diaphragm gives circular out-of-focus highlights, and Super Multi-Layer and Nano Porous coatings reduce flare and ghosting. The image quality rivals that of standard zoom lenses such as the SIGMA 24-70mm F2.8 DG DN Art, ensuring a perfect match when used alongside these optics.
The bokeh effects and compressed perspective achieved when shooting at these longer focal lengths will open up a range of new shooting possibilities, allowing a fresh approach to everyday scenes. The lens is perfect for wildlife, action and portraits, and thanks to its short minimum focusing distance, which gives a magnification ratio of 1:4.1, it’s also ideal for capturing close-up subjects in stunning detail.
The lens brings to the table a range of advanced features including dual-action zoom, a customisable AFL button, focus throw angle adjustment (with USB Dock), a two-mode Optical Stabilizer, a tripod socket attachment and a focus limiter switch. The L-Mount version can also be used with two newly-developed teleConverters (1.4x and 2x), with full AF, for even longer focal lengths.
Whether you are considering investing in your first long lens, or are already a seasoned telephoto photographer, the SIGMA 100-400mm F5-6.3 DG DN OS Contemporary is a robust, portable, ultra-telephoto zoom that offers superb image quality and excellent value for money.
SIGMA's 5th DG DN lens, designed exclusively for full-frame mirrorless cameras
With optics designed specifically for a camera with a short flange back distance, the DG DN series of lenses achieves the perfect combination of optical performance and compactness. Thanks to the stepping motor system that is optimised for both phase detection AF and contrast AF, the SIGMA 100-400mm F5-6.3 DG DN OS Contemporary makes shooting with video or eye-tracking AF very smooth. This DG DN lens is a welcome introduction to the photography market, expanding the possibilities of mirrorless photography.
Uncompromising image quality
The optical construction of the SIGMA 100-400mm F5-6.3 DG DN OS Contemporary comprises 22 elements in 16 groups, with one FLD and four SLD elements used for the effective correction of aberrations and distortions. Built on the latest optical design technology and optimised for mirrorless systems, the new lens ensures the same high-resolution image quality all the way to the edges, and achieves high levels of optical performance right across the zoom and focus range.
Furthermore, when paired with one of two newly-developed SIGMA teleConverters – TC-1411 (1.4x) and TC-2011 (2x) (sold separately, L-Mount only) – the SIGMA 100-400mm F5-6.3 DG DN OS Contemporary offers photographers a super-telephoto angle of view with a focal length of up to 800mm, while enjoying the benefit of a compact system. Autofocus is effective even with the teleConverter is attached.
A full range of functionality that enables smooth and easy ultra-telephoto shooting
In addition to high-speed, smooth AF controlled by a stepping motor optimised to the latest algorithms, the SIGMA 100-400mm F5-6.3 DG DN OS Contemporary incorporates powerful built-in image stabilisation (OS), which offers a four-stop advantage. When combined with a camera body that also has image stabilisation built in, the lens corrects pitch and yaw axis rotations, providing even more powerful stabilisation.
The lens features an AFL button, to which the user may assign a range of different functions, and a focus limiter switch that allows the user to optimise the AF range depending on the subject distance.
When connecting the lens to a SIGMA USB DOCK (sold separately, L-Mount only), users can use SIGMA Optimization Pro software to adjust the amount of focus movement (throw) when operating the manual focus ring. Newly developed exclusively for use with mirrorless cameras, this allows adjustments to focusing behaviour to best suit different shooting situations.
The SIGMA 100-400mm F5-6.3 DG DN OS Contemporary supports ‘dual action zoom’. This means users can zoom in or out by turning the zoom ring, or if preferred by pushing or pulling the lens hood, enabling fast intuitive adjustments to focal length.
lightweight and compact lens body
The construction of the lens is designed to be both light and robust, with careful consideration given to utilising the right materials in the right place. Magnesium alloy, for example, which is very strong, is used around the tripod socket attachment, whereas for some other parts of the barrel, durable but light polycarbonate is used.
When using the lens on a tripod, a tripod socket (sold separately) can be attached, helping to reduce strain on the camera body and offering better balance on the tripod. The tripod socket comes with a strap which also helps lessen strain on the camera and lens mounts when carrying or transporting the lens.
What else is included in the box?
- Hood LH770-05
- PROTECTIVE COVER PT-31
SIGMA 100-400MM F/5-6.3 DG DN OS CONTEMPORARY SONY E Specifications
22 elements in 16 groups
Angle of view (35mm)
24.4° - 6.2°
Number of diaphragm blades
9 (Rounded diaphragm)
F22 - 29
Minimum focusing distance
112(W) - 160(T)cm
Maximum magnification ratio
(diameter x length)
φ86.0mm x 199.2mm
1,140g (PROTECTIVE COVER included)
|Offer Category: Camera Lenses|
|Offer Product Type: Sony Lenses E Mount|
|Aperture ring: N/A|
|Constant Aperture: N/A|
|Lens CIPA Image stabilization rating: N/A|
|Diameter (mm): N/A|
|Length (mm): N/A|
|Weight (g): N/A|
|Distance scale: N/A|
|DoF scale: N/A|
|Environmental Sealing: N/A|
|Focus distance limiter: N/A|
|Focal length: N/A|
|Focus method: N/A|
|Filter Thread: N/A|
|Full time manual: N/A|
|Hood supplied: N/A|
|Lens Image stabilization: N/A|
|Lens mount: N/A|
|Lens Materials: N/A|
|Maximum focal length: N/A|
|Maximum magnification: N/A|
|Maximum aperture (number): N/A|
|Maximum aperture (text): N/A|
|Max Format size: N/A|
|Minimum focal length: N/A|
|Lens Minimum focus distance (m): N/A|
|Minimum aperture (number): N/A|
|Minimum aperture (text): N/A|
|Motor type: N/A|
|Number of diaphragm blades: N/A|
|Power zoom: N/A|
|Special elements / coatings: N/A|
|Tripod collar: N/A|
|Lens type: N/A|
|Zoom lock: N/A|
|Zoom method: N/A|
Sigma is renowned for designing highly accomplished and sharp lenses for Sony full-frame cameras and the introduction of the 100-400mm f/5-6.3 DG DN OS is most welcome. There is a limited choice of super telephoto zoom lenses for Sony E-mount and this lens helps to fill the void admirably. Despite the number of high quality optical elements included, the 100-400mm remains compact and weighs just over 1.1kg. This allows a range of photographers from birders, to nature and sports shooters to bring this lens along to any situation easily.
Dual mode optical stabilisation provides a clear advantage for shooting both in low light and when handheld, offering 4 stops of benefit. A number of other features will also provide broad appeal, such as the focus limiter switch for distant subjects as well as the extremely short focal distances at the other end of the scale. These cement this lens as both accomplished and versatile allowing photographers to capture both near and far subjects. We are certain Sony users will flock to this robust and highly portable ultra-telephoto zoom option.
Writing your review
Sign In / Register
Existing Customer Login
If you are already a member, fill in the details below to login & view your account.
New Customer Signup
Create an account with Park CamerasRegister
- Like New – The equipment is in a condition as if you have just bought it from the manufacturer. The item is still considered to be ‘Like New’ even without the original packaging. The product has been fully tested and is in perfect working order.
- Excellent – The equipment should be close to being ‘Like New’ but there may be some small cosmetic blemishes that lower its grade. The product has been fully tested and is in perfect excellent order.
- Cameras – Should have no marks on the LCD screen
- Lenses – Should have no marks on the elements or dust within the lens
- Very Good – The equipment may have some slight cosmetic wear to the paintwork and cosmetic blemishes with only light signs of use and the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – The LCD screen may have small signs of wear that does not affect its display
- Lenses – The mount of the lens will start to show signs of wear
- Good – The equipment is showing more obvious signs of cosmetic wear and blemishes, but the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – LCD screen may have scratches or wear that is starting to affect the display.
- Lenses – May have slight dust inside that does not affect images. The mount shows signs of use.
- Well Used – The equipment will show significant signs of wear. The paintwork will be coming away in large areas exposing the metal work, but the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – LCD screen is heavily worn either by de-lamination or has scratches to it. Rubber grips are starting to come away from the body.
- Lenses – The lens has dust inside that may affect images. The rubber zoom/focus ring is coming away from the barrel of the lens.