Samyang AF 12mm f/2 Lens For Sony E
The ultra-wide AF 12mm f/2 prime lens for Sony E is the first autofocus lens from Samyang for APS-C crop cameras and provides an 18mm equivalent focal width ideal for Astro, interiors, landscape and more
- Class leading ultra wide angle prime lens suited to a broad range of subjects including video
- Extremely compact and lightweight design sits perfectly on compact Sony mirrorless cameras
- Excellent image quality achieved from advanced optics and Samyang’s lens coatings
- New fast and silent AF system optimised for Sony with excellent results for stills and video
- New design includes weather sealed, all-metal casing with new rear protective glass
Samyang AF 12mm f/2 Lens For Sony E Summary
The introduction of the Samyang AF 12mm f/2 Lens For Sony E marks the first autofocus lens designed specifically for APS-C crop sensor Sony mirrorless cameras. It arrives to update the popular Samyang 12mm manual focus lens, bringing new features and technology for crop cameras such as Sony’s a6600 and a6100 and the a6400.
With an 18mm equivalent focal width this prime is destined for subjects such as Astrophotography including stars, aurora and milky way, whilst also being perfect for those who love to shoot landscapes, city, architecture and street photography. The fast f/2.0 maximum aperture and 99.1° angle of view also suits interiors, food photography and lifestyle shots, indicating the versatility of this AF 12mm f/2 prime lens.
Features at a glance
- Completely new compact and lightweight design weighing 213g with 62mm filter thread
- Fast and quiet autofocus with linear STM technology
- Micro patterned rubber ring and all-metal housing
- Comprehensively weather sealed with new rear protective glass which is a stand-out feature in its class
- 12 optical elements arranged in 10 groups deliver superb image quality during daytime or at night.
- Close focus distance of just 19cm
The new optical formula ensures superb image results which are derived from 1 Hybrid-Aspherical element, 1 Aspherical, 3 ED elements and Samyang’s Ultra Multi-Coating.
Samyang AF 12mm f/2 Lens For Sony E in More Detail
Samyang is on a roll recently, producing superb new lenses for Sony E-mount cameras including the recently released full frame AF 24mm F/1.8 FE Lens which also has enticing features for Astro photographers.
Outstanding image quality
This lens includes 12 elements in 10 groups, with five special lenses (1 H-ASP, 1 ASP, and 3 ED). The three Extra-low Dispersion elements and the two Aspherical (H-ASP and ASP) elements are incorporated to minimise chromatic aberration and distortion, delivering pin-sharp images.
An improved Ultra Multi Coating (UMC) has also been applied to elements to reduce surface reflection and prevent lens flare and ghosting for improved light transmission and higher contrast imagery. The lens achieves exceptional resolution from the centre to the edges of the frame, even at its maximum aperture, keeping pace with higher resolution Sony sensors.
New Autofocus system
The AF 12mm f/2 for E-mount adopts an Autofocus system optimised for astrophotography, which also adds convenience and functionality. The newly developed Stepping Motor and a larger focus-lens group are controlled more quietly and precisely, providing fast AF for both photo and video applications.
Bright Aperture with Shallow Depth of Field and Impressive Bokeh
The lens offers users a bright f/2.0 aperture which demonstrates faster shutter speeds in low light conditions which also helps with astrophotography. The subject and background are effectively separated when shooting wide open, creating an impressive sense of depth in video and images. The large round bokeh also separates the subject from any background when this effect is desired.
New design with compact size and weight
Samyang’s first AF lens for crop cameras is class leading, weighing just 213g and measuring 59.2mm long, making it the lightest and smallest AF 12mm lens currently on the market. This lens includes useful new design features such as a durable all-metal housing, an ergonomically designed grip with micro pattern rubber ring and a new 'hidden' red ring design. The AF 12mm F2 is weather-sealed with a new rear glass protection, preventing dust, light rain, and snow from entering. This allows users to capture stunning images even in poor weather conditions.
What’s in the box
- AF 12mm f/2 Lens For Sony E
- Lens Caps
- Lens Hood
- Lens Pouch
- Hoya 62mm Starscape Light Pollution Filter - reduces the effects of light pollution when shooting at night
- Tiffen 62mm variable ND filter - a multi neutral density filter all in one for long exposures and video in brighter lights
- Hoya REVO SMC 62mm Circular Polarising Filter - reduce glare from wet surfaces, increase contrast and enhance blue skies. Probably the most important filter for outdoor use.
- Hoya 62mm Ultra Pro UV Filter - project the front lens element and reduce UV light.
Samyang AF 12mm f/2 Lens Sample images
Samyang AF 12mm f/2 Lens For Sony E Specifications
|Image Sensor size||APS-C crop sensor|
|Angle of view||99.1 degrees (APS-C sensor)|
|Minimum focus distance||0.19m|
|Weather Sealing and rear glass protection||yes|
|Number of diaphragm blades||7 (rounded)|
|Lens construction||12 elements in 10 groups (1 Hybrid-Asph, 1 Aspherical, 3 ED) Ultra Multi-Coating|
|Dimensions (max)||70mm Dia x 59.2mm L|
|Offers: Price Drop|
|Offer Category: N/A|
|Offer Product Type: N/A|
|Aperture ring: N/A|
|Constant Aperture: Yes|
|Lens CIPA Image stabilization rating: N/A|
|Diameter (mm): N/A|
|Length (mm): N/A|
|Weight (g): N/A|
|Distance scale: N/A|
|DoF scale: N/A|
|Environmental Sealing: N/A|
|Focus distance limiter: N/A|
|Focal length: N/A|
|Focus method: N/A|
|Filter Thread: N/A|
|Full time manual: N/A|
|Hood supplied: N/A|
|Lens Image stabilization: N/A|
|Lens mount: N/A|
|Lens Materials: N/A|
|Maximum focal length: N/A|
|Maximum magnification: N/A|
|Maximum aperture (number): N/A|
|Maximum aperture (text): N/A|
|Max Format size: N/A|
|Minimum focal length: N/A|
|Lens Minimum focus distance (m): N/A|
|Minimum aperture (number): N/A|
|Minimum aperture (text): N/A|
|Motor type: N/A|
|Number of diaphragm blades: N/A|
|Power zoom: N/A|
|Special elements / coatings: N/A|
|Tripod collar: N/A|
|Lens type: N/A|
|Lens Level: N/A|
|Best For: N/A|
|Zoom lock: N/A|
|Zoom method: N/A|
The AF 12mm f/2 Lens from Samyang provides users with class leading compact size and weight, perfectly matched to Sony’s crop sensor cameras. An ultra wide focal width with bright f/2 aperture and close focus capabilities combine to give rise to an extremely versatile prime lens which can be trained on a variety of subjects. Seven aperture blades capture suitably soft, rounded bokeh as well as beautiful sunstars for special effect shots.
Samyang also impresses with this release as it includes a class leading optical design which includes five special glass elements to ensure the best quality results can be produced when shooting at day or night.
The stand out feature is of course the introduction of the first Autofocus lens for Sony crop cameras and once again the AF 12mm f/2 delivers thanks to a newly developed fast, silent STM (Stepping Motor) which works perfectly for both photo and video use. Whether you shoot cityscapes, landscapes, astro or any number of other subjects, there are few lenses available for Sony users which promise this level of class leading performance and compact size. The 12mm f/2 continues to demonstrate that Samyang lenses provide a cost effective and extremely compelling alternative to other models on the market.
Would you like to give any feedback about this page?Complete our feedback form
Writing your review
Sign In / Register
Existing Customer Login
If you are already a member, fill in the details below to login & view your account.
New Customer Signup
Create an account with Park CamerasRegister
Our used products are subject to wear and tear in comparison to brand new products. This also applies to accessories that are supplied with the camera including batteries which may have a lower optimum performance level/life expectancy.
- Like New – The equipment is in a condition as if you have just bought it from the manufacturer. The item is still considered to be ‘Like New’ even without the original packaging. The product has been fully tested and is in perfect working order.
- Excellent – The equipment should be close to being ‘Like New’ but there may be some small cosmetic blemishes that lower its grade. The product has been fully tested and is in perfect excellent order.
- Cameras – Should have no marks on the LCD screen
- Lenses – Should have no marks on the elements or dust within the lens
- Very Good – The equipment may have some slight cosmetic wear to the paintwork and cosmetic blemishes with only light signs of use and the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – The LCD screen may have small signs of wear that does not affect its display
- Lenses – The mount of the lens will start to show signs of wear
- Good – The equipment is showing more obvious signs of cosmetic wear and blemishes, but the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – LCD screen may have scratches or wear that is starting to affect the display.
- Lenses – May have slight dust inside that does not affect images. The mount shows signs of use.
- Well Used – The equipment will show significant signs of wear. The paintwork will be coming away in large areas exposing the metal work, but the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – LCD screen is heavily worn either by de-lamination or has scratches to it. Rubber grips are starting to come away from the body.
- Lenses – The lens has dust inside that may affect images. The rubber zoom/focus ring is coming away from the barrel of the lens.