Panasonic Lumix GH5 M2 Micro Four Thirds Mirrorless Camera Body
The updated mark II Panasonic Lumix GH5 M2 is a MFT camera body featuring a faster Venus engine, C4K, 4K/60p 4:2:0 10-bit unlimited video, wireless live streaming in FHD/60p and 6.5-stops body IS.
- Limitless video recording in C4K, 4K/60p and 4:2:2 10-bit 30p with V-Log L preinstalled
- Indoor and outdoor live streaming with both wireless and wired options up to FHD/60p at 16Mbps
- Updated body stabilisation results in smoother video with up to 6.5-stops compensation
- More responsive experience with updated Venus engine and brighter LCD touchscreen monitor
- Designed for creators with Variable Frame Rate recording, Anamorphic 50fps and high speed FHD 180fps
Panasonic Lumix GH5 Mark II Camera Body Summary
Building on the huge success of the first iteration comes the newly updated Panasonic Lumix GH5 Mark II camera body. This micro four thirds mirrorless camera is capable of capturing professional C4K /4K 60p 4:2:0 10-bit unlimited video and can simultaneously output 4K 4:2:2 10-bit over HDMI. You can also wirelessly livestream via the LUMIX Sync smartphone app, or by connecting directly to a Wi-Fi router. A future firmware update will also add RTP/RTSP wired IP streaming providing a number of social media streaming options.
The Venus image processor has been updated, processing 20.3 megapixel images from the live MOS Sensor with AR (Anti-Reflective) coating. Body stabilisation (I.S.) has been improved utilising the latest algorithms from the S1H camera, and now provides 6.5 stops of compensation for smooth video. Topping off a list of updates for the GH5 Mark II comes an updated free-angle touchscreen LCD screen with better colours and brighter luminosity.
Features at a glance
- C4K, 4K/60p 4:2:0 10-bit unlimited video recording with simultaneous 4K 4:2:2 10-bit over HDMI
- Wireless live streaming in FHD/60p via the LUMIX Sync smartphone app
- 20.3 Megapixel Digital Live MOS Sensor with AR (Anti-Reflective) coating
- Updated Venus Engine imaging processor
- Body image stabilisation with 6.5-stops compensation
- Updated fully articulating 3-inch Touch control LCD with 1840K dots
- Improved AF with Auto Detection Face, Eye, Body, Animal Tracking
- Dual card slots
- USB-C charging
- Down to -18db when recording audio
Panasonic Lumix DC-GH5 M2 MFT Mirrorless Camera in More Detail
Content Creator Hybrid Camera
As with all Panasonic Lumix cameras, the GH5 M2 is designed for content creators. To this end it features a fully articulating, high resolution touch control LCD, 20.3 Megapixel micro four thirds sensor, simple live streaming with minimal equipment as well as numerous video recording options. Upcoming firmware updates will deliver users free of charge updates for RTP/RTSP wired IP streaming, USB Tethering and more.
High quality video performance
Professional videographers raved about the previous GH5 model and the updated GH5 mark II is set to continue this trend. The entire sensor is used when shooting video, enabling the user to record uncropped video from the original viewing angle of the lens. Numerous recording options offer internal recording up to 4K 60p and 4:2:2 10-bit 30p, or 4K/6K Anamorphic modes.
V-Log L comes pre-installed, making it easy to match colour tones with footage recorded in other Lumix cameras. There are 35 compatible conversion LUTs for VariCam cinema cameras available for free download for this who prefer to have a starting point for colour grading. A Waveform Monitor and V-Log View Assist are part of the GH5M2’s on-board video toolkit.
The Photo Style menu provides two Cine-like gamma presets with warm skin tones and delicate luminosity nuances without colour grading over V-Log footage.
AF can be set before starting VFR recording in C4K/4K 60fps, Anamorphic 50fps and FHD 180fps.
Wireless live streaming
All you need is a smartphone with the LUMIX Sync app for wireless live-streaming with the GH5 Mark II. A maximum resolution/frame rate of FHD/60p at 16Mbps is supported using the H.264 codec. For wired live streaming, the dedicated LUMIX Webcam Software is available for free download. See our blog post here about How to use a camera for live streaming which also has links to Panasonic’s downloads.
Durable design for professional use
The Lumix GH5M2 has a full die-cast front and rear frame made of magnesium alloy and the body is splash, dust, and freeze resistant down to -10C degrees. The shutter unit provides a durable lifespan of approximately 200,000 cycles.
The updated camera uses the new high-capacity 2200mAh battery DMW-BLK22 that complies with USB PD (Power Delivery) and can be recharged via AC or USB. The camera is also equipped with a double SD memory card slot compatible with V90-classified, high-speed, high-capacity UHS-II cards for Relay, Backup and Allocation Recording.
Huge Micro Four Thirds Ecosystem
With Panasonic’s release of several excellent full frame cameras some users voiced concern about the micro four thirds ecosystem. The mark II camera reinforces commitment to the MFT system and we carry around 100 micro four thirds lenses from several manufacturers to support new cameras. The body can also be purchased with Leica and Lumix lenses in two kits, as the GH5 M2 Camera With Leica DG 12-60mm f/2.8-4.0 Lens and GH5 M2 With Lumix G Vario 12-60mm f/3.5-5.6 OIS Lens.
Hybrid photography capabilities
Whilst the GH5 mark II will inevitably be used predominantly for video and live streams, Panasonic has made sure photographers won’t be disappointed by the camera’s capabilities. It includes 4K and 6K photos at up to a blistering 60fps (or 12fps in mechanical shutter), easily fast enough for any action. A contrast based AF system includes Face, Eye, Body, Animal detection, with Full area touch available. The OLED Live View Finder with 3.68 million dots is bright and clear, with either 120fps or 60fps refresh rates and of course we have Bluetooth and WiFi for sharing.
You can get more info in our in-depth review with more sample images and video of the Lumix GH5 M2 here.
What’s in the box
- Panasonic Lumix DC-GH5 M2 camera body
- Shoulder Strap
- Battery Pack
- Battery Charger
- AC Adaptor
- USB Connection Cable (A-C)
- Cable Holder
- Microphone Adaptor DMW-XLR1 - plug-in adaptor for XLR microphones for recording high-resolution 96kHz/24bit stereo sound
- Sandisk 64GB Extreme Pro SDHC 300MB/s UHS-II SD memory card - fast enough to keep pace with 4K/60 and high frame rates
- Atomos Ninja V 4K recorder - 4K/60 10bit HDR video direct from your camera's sensor
Panasonic Lumix GH5 M2 Camera Sample images
All images ©Matthew Sutherland
DC-GH5M2 with LUMIX G VARIO 12-32 F3.5-5.6. Settings: 1/1250. f/16. ISO 400
DC-GH5M2 with LEICA DG 10-25 F1.7. Settings: 1/2500. f/6.3. ISO 200
DC-GH5M2 with LUMIX G VARIO 12-32 F3.5-5.6. Settings: 5 seconds. f/2.8. ISO 100
DC-GH5M2 with LEICA DG 10-25 F1.7. Settings: 1/8000. f/1.7. ISO 200
|Offers: Free Gift|
|Offer Category: N/A|
|Offer Product Type: N/A|
|Model: Panasonic Lumix DC-GH5 II|
|AE Bracketing: N/A|
|Autofocus Modes: N/A|
|Articulated Screen: N/A|
|Aperture priority: Yes|
|Built-in flash: N/A|
|Battery Life (CIPA): 400|
|Camera CIPA image stabilization rating: N/A|
|Continuous drive (fps): 12.0|
|Custom white balance: Yes|
|Digital zoom: Yes|
|Effective pixels (megapixels): 20|
|Environmental Sealing: N/A|
|Exposure compensation: N/A|
|External flash: Yes|
|Flash range (metres): N/A|
|Focal length (equiv.): N/A|
|Focal length multiplier: 2.00|
|Flash modes: N/A|
|HDMI Port: N/A|
|Headphone port: Yes|
|Height (mm): 98|
|Length (mm): N/A|
|Width (mm): 139|
|Weight (g): N/A|
|Weight (inc. batteries) (g): 727|
|Image ratio w:h: N/A|
|Camera Image stabilization: N/A|
|ISO: Auto, 200 - 25600 (expands to 100 - 25600)|
|JPEG quality levels: Fine, standard|
|Live view: Yes|
|Camera Lens mount: N/A|
|Manual exposure mode: Yes|
|Maximum shutter speed (electronic): N/A|
|Maximum ISO: 25600|
|Maximum ISO (boosted): N/A|
|Max resolution: N/A|
|Maximum shutter speed (seconds): N/A|
|Maximum aperture: N/A|
|Manual focus: Yes|
|Microphone port: Yes|
|Camera Minimum focus distance (cm): N/A|
|Minimum ISO: 200|
|Minimum ISO (boosted): 100|
|Minimum macro focus distance (cm): N/A|
|Minimum shutter speed (seconds): N/A|
|Metering modes: N/A|
|Number of focus points: 225|
|Number of white balance presets: 5|
|Optical zoom multiplier: N/A|
|Orientation sensor: N/A|
|Other resolutions: N/A|
|Processor: Venus Engine|
|Remote control: N/A|
|Screen dots: 1840000|
|Screen size: N/A|
|Screen type: N/A|
|Shutter priority: Yes|
|Sensor photo detectors (megapixels): 22.00|
|Sensor size: N/A|
|Sensor type: N/A|
|Storage types: N/A|
|Subject / scene modes: N/A|
|Timelapse recording: Yes|
|Camera Type: N/A|
|Uncompressed format: N/A|
|Camera USB: N/A|
|USB charging: Yes|
|Viewfinder coverage: N/A|
|Viewfinder magnification: N/A|
|Viewfinder resolution: 3680000|
|Viewfinder type: N/A|
|Video formats: N/A|
|Video Mode Categories: N/A|
|Video Modes: N/A|
|WB Bracketing: Yes|
Content creators flocked to the first GH5 model so Panasonic has delivered a comprehensive set of incremental updates with the mark II GH5 to ensure its’ continued success. The core Venus engine is the latest version which is faster and more responsive, the LCD is brighter with better colour rendition and creators can now livestream wirelessly straight from camera with just an app at up to 16Mbps in FHD/60p. Being able to record limitless 4K 60p and 4:2:2 10-bit 30p using the full micro four thirds sensor will appeal to many, including those who shoot long-form interviews. The camera offers numerous video other settings for any type of videographer including C4K/4K 60fps, Anamorphic 50fps and FHD 180fps for slow motion playback.
Body stabilisation has also been improved which now offers up to 6.5-stops of compensation for ultra smooth video even when moving around. Whilst flat colour V-Log L is pre-installed there are other options to get excellent results straight out of camera without the need to colour grade. Panasonic cameras always offer dedicated video features and the GH5 M2 is no different with red and blue indicators showing on the LCD and EVF when recording or streaming, a Waveform Monitor and V-Log View Assist to name a few. Naturally this camera is built to endure indoor and outdoor work with comprehensive weather sealing and a durable 200,000 shutter unit.
Writing your review
Sign In / Register
Existing Customer Login
If you are already a member, fill in the details below to login & view your account.
New Customer Signup
Create an account with Park CamerasRegister
- Like New – The equipment is in a condition as if you have just bought it from the manufacturer. The item is still considered to be ‘Like New’ even without the original packaging. The product has been fully tested and is in perfect working order.
- Excellent – The equipment should be close to being ‘Like New’ but there may be some small cosmetic blemishes that lower its grade. The product has been fully tested and is in perfect excellent order.
- Cameras – Should have no marks on the LCD screen
- Lenses – Should have no marks on the elements or dust within the lens
- Very Good – The equipment may have some slight cosmetic wear to the paintwork and cosmetic blemishes with only light signs of use and the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – The LCD screen may have small signs of wear that does not affect its display
- Lenses – The mount of the lens will start to show signs of wear
- Good – The equipment is showing more obvious signs of cosmetic wear and blemishes, but the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – LCD screen may have scratches or wear that is starting to affect the display.
- Lenses – May have slight dust inside that does not affect images. The mount shows signs of use.
- Well Used – The equipment will show significant signs of wear. The paintwork will be coming away in large areas exposing the metal work, but the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – LCD screen is heavily worn either by de-lamination or has scratches to it. Rubber grips are starting to come away from the body.
- Lenses – The lens has dust inside that may affect images. The rubber zoom/focus ring is coming away from the barrel of the lens.