Panasonic Leica DG Vario-Summilux 25-50mm f/1.7 ASPH Lens
The Panasonic Leica Vario-Summilux 25-50mm f/1.7 Lens for MFT is a professional telephoto zoom suited to stills and video with minimal focus breathing, micro step no-click aperture and outstanding results
- Professional quality telephoto zoom for stills and video creators delivering exceptional results
- Extremely well suppressed focus breathing across the entire zoom range for movie makers
- Responsive and silent inner focus drive system which makes the most of Lumix AF systems
- Beautiful bokeh rendered from bright, circular 9-bladed aperture diaphragm
- Rugged weather resistant construction with convenient 77mm filter thread
Panasonic Leica DG Vario-Summilux 25-50mm f/1.7 ASPH Lens Summary
The Panasonic Leica DG Vario-Summilux 25-50mm f/1.7 ASPH Lens is designed for content creators shooting on micro four thirds cameras. This is a professional telephoto zoom, which delivers exceptional quality images and video at an equivalent 50-100mm range (full frame format). This latest addition has been designed to accompany the Leica DG Vario-Summilux 10-25mm / F1.7 ASPH, covering all of the most popular focus distances from wide angle to telephoto between them. Both models sport a common aperture, the same shape and easy operability for convenient lens changes. Back to the Vario-Summilux 25-50mm and its bright f/1.7 aperture, which renders beautiful bokeh, while being able to draw out light from even the darkest situations. This makes it ideal for a variety of subjects from portraits to lifestyle, sports or travel and video.
Features at a glance
- Extremely well suppressed focus breathing across the entire zoom range
- Superb results from 1 aspherical, 3 ED and 1 UHR element
- Silent inner focus drive system
- Stepless aperture ring with micro-step drive
- Manual focus clutch
- 0.28m minimum focus distance with 0.42x magnification (35mm equivalent) for close-up work
The optical design within the lens says it all with 16 elements in 11 groups, including 1 aspherical lens, 3 ED lenses, 1 UHR lens. Between them these special elements effectively suppress axial chromatic aberration and chromatic aberrations while rendering razor sharp details for overall outstanding optical performance.
Panasonic Leica DG Vario-Summilux 25-50mm f/1.7 ASPH Lens in More Detail
Designed with videographers in mind
Although the Panasonic Leica DG Vario-Summilux 25-50mm lens is a highly capable stills model, it also excels in video recording. Panasonic has included a mechanism which suppresses focus breathing throughout the entire zoom range.
shot with Panasonic Lumix GH5 Mark II camera 50mm. 1/160 sec. f/1.7. ISO 200
The inner focus drive system is silent which is ideal for video, while the stepless aperture ring and micro-step drive system help the camera smoothly transition during changes in brightness when zooming or panning.
Barycentric stability minimises image shifts during zooming and the focus ring is equipped with a manual focus clutch to ensure intuitive and precise focusing.
shot with Panasonic Lumix GH5 Mark II camera 50mm. 1/500 sec. f/5.6. ISO 400
Versatility in one zoom
The Leica Vario-Summilux 25-50mm f/1.7 boasts a short minimum focusing distance of just 0.28m at wide end and 0.31m at telephoto end. A 35mm equivalent maximum magnification ratio of 0.42x also provides the opportunity to capture close-up tele-macro images. Users can additionally switch between linear and non-linear focus settings to find their own sweet spot for focusing.
shot with Panasonic Lumix GH5 Mark II camera 46mm. 1/2000 sec. f/1.7. ISO 400
Built to shoot
A rugged dust and splash-resistant design has been incorporated to withstand use under harsher conditions, operating down to minus ten degrees Celsius. If you can get there, so can this lens which is built for high durability. A commonly available 77mm filter diameter rounds off a number of useable features.
shot with Panasonic Lumix GH5 Mark II camera 50mm. 1/400 sec. f/2. ISO 200
What’s in the box
- Panasonic Leica DG Vario-Summilux 25-50mm f/1.7 ASPH Lens for MFT
- Lens cap
- Lens rear cap
- Lens hood
- Lens storage bag
- Polar Pro Peter McKinnon VND Filter Signature Edition II 77mm (2-5 stop) - Combine this variable ND filter and lens and you have a winning combination
- Polar Pro Peter McKinnon VND Filter Signature Edition II 77mm (6-9 stop) - As above for even brighter day filming
- B+W 77mm XS-Pro Clear MRC-Nano 007 Filter - Another high quality filter, which is clear to simply to protect that front element from accidental damage
Panasonic Leica DG Vario-Summilux 25-50mm f/1.7 ASPH Lens Specifications
|Lens Construction||16 elements in 11 groups (1 aspherical lens, 3 ED lenses, 1 UHR lens)|
|Mount||Micro Four Thirds mount|
|Focal Length||f=25-50mm (35mm camera equivalent 50-100mm)|
|Aperture Type||9 diaphragm blades / Circular aperture diaphragm|
|Closest Focusing Distance||0.28m/0.92ft (at focal length 25mm) / 0.31m/1.02ft (at focal length 50mm)|
|Maximum Magnification||0.21x / 0.42x (35mm camera equivalent) (at focal length 50mm)|
|Diagonal Angle of View||47°(Wide) - 24°(Tele)|
|Dust and Splash Resistant||Yes*|
|Recommended Operating Temperature||-10℃ to 40℃ (14℉ to 104℉)|
|Max. Diameter||φ87.6mm / 3.45inch|
|Overall Length||Approx. 127.6mm / 5.02inch (from the tip of the lens to the base side of the lens mount)|
|Weight||Approx. 654g / 1.44lb (excluding lens cap, lens rear cap and lens hood)|
|Standard Accessories||Lens cap, Lens rear cap, Lens hood, Lens storage bag|
With the Leica DG Vario-Summilux 25-50mm f/1.7 ASPH, Panasonic is once again demonstrating their commitment to designing exceptional lenses for micro four thirds system. This model achieves professional quality results whether shooting stills or movies, easily resolving even the highest resolution MFT cameras available. The inner focus system is fast and quiet, snappy enough to keep up with faster moving subjects. A host of special optics have also been included, helping resolve sharp details and well controlled distortion or aberration. Despite the pro-quality glass enclosed the lens weighs a very reasonable 654g testament to the MFT system’s compact nature.
Videographers will love this lens which comes packed with features specifically for them. Focus breathing is all but eliminated, whilst a stepless aperture ring that also includes a micro-step drive lets you change exposure extremely smoothly as lighting conditions change. There’s a manual focus clutch as well as well as the ability to switch from linear to non-linear focus.
Rounding off this highly desirable lens is a rounded 9 blade aperture, which renders beautifully smooth bokeh when the lens is wide open at f/1.7. This fast aperture also lets you shoot in extremely low light without having to crank the ISO, ideal for any number of situations. With weather resistance and low temperature operation you can bring this lens just about anywhere, which you’re bound to do once you see just how good it is.
Writing your review
Sign In / Register
Existing Customer Login
If you are already a member, fill in the details below to login & view your account.
New Customer Signup
Create an account with Park CamerasRegister
- Like New – The equipment is in a condition as if you have just bought it from the manufacturer. The item is still considered to be ‘Like New’ even without the original packaging. The product has been fully tested and is in perfect working order.
- Excellent – The equipment should be close to being ‘Like New’ but there may be some small cosmetic blemishes that lower its grade. The product has been fully tested and is in perfect excellent order.
- Cameras – Should have no marks on the LCD screen
- Lenses – Should have no marks on the elements or dust within the lens
- Very Good – The equipment may have some slight cosmetic wear to the paintwork and cosmetic blemishes with only light signs of use and the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – The LCD screen may have small signs of wear that does not affect its display
- Lenses – The mount of the lens will start to show signs of wear
- Good – The equipment is showing more obvious signs of cosmetic wear and blemishes, but the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – LCD screen may have scratches or wear that is starting to affect the display.
- Lenses – May have slight dust inside that does not affect images. The mount shows signs of use.
- Well Used – The equipment will show significant signs of wear. The paintwork will be coming away in large areas exposing the metal work, but the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – LCD screen is heavily worn either by de-lamination or has scratches to it. Rubber grips are starting to come away from the body.
- Lenses – The lens has dust inside that may affect images. The rubber zoom/focus ring is coming away from the barrel of the lens.