Nikon Z 40mm f/2 Lens
The Nikon Nikkor Z 40mm f/2 Lens is fast, sharp and extremely compact for all day shooting, ideal for everything from portraits, street photography and vlogging to video thanks to its lightweight form
- Compact and lightweight prime with a realistic ‘standard’ field of view suitable for video and content creation
- A bright aperture with 9-bladed design gives excellent low light performance and smooth out of focus areas
- Fast, silent Autofocus from ultra-quiet stepping motor to capture and track subjects with ease
- Close minimum focus distance of just 0.29 m provides versatile shooting of close-up subjects
- Perfect as a walkabout lens for all day street photography and more with its discreet size and weight
Nikon Nikkor Z 40mm f/2 Lens Summary
With a natural field of view the latest addition to the full frame (FX) mirrorless range is the Nikon Nikkor Z 40mm f/2 Lens (offering 60mm on DX format bodies). It is a standard focal width prime lens for Nikon mirrorless Z cameras, which is fast, sharp and extremely compact making it ideal for all day shooting of everything from portraits, street photography and vlogging to video thanks to its lightweight form. A bright f/2 aperture gives you great low light performance, while the 9-bladed aperture provides soft, creamy smooth bokeh. This helps to isolate the subject against a smooth out of focus background, once again lending itself to vlogging and general content creation.
- Standard focal width with realistic field of view
- Bright f/2 aperture
- 9-blade aperture opening
- Compact at 70 mm x 45.5 mm and lightweight 170g design
- Great close-up performance
- Fast, silent Autofocus
- Well controlled focus breathing for video
- Silent control ring
- 6 lens elements in 4 groups including 2 aspherical elements
- Dust and moisture resistant
- Compact 52 mm filter thread
Nikon Nikkor Z 40mm f/2 Lens in More Detail
Bright f/2 standard prime lens: 40 mm field of view on Z series ful frame cameras and 60 mm angle of view on a Z series DX-format cameras like the retro chic Z fc.
True to life: the lens renders stills and movies with realistic detail, depth, and colour.
Artful bokeh: subjects are rendered in sharp focus against beautiful, softly blurred backgrounds.
Great up close: a minimum focus distance of just 0.29 m with excellent sharpness, even up close.
Fast, silent autofocus: focusing is fast, accurate and silent, powered by an ultra-quiet stepping motor and enhanced by the additional light gathered by the large Z mount.
Made for video: videos won’t be ruined by focusing sounds and focus breathing is dramatically reduced so you can adjust without affecting the angle of view.
Pocketable: the Nikon Nikkor Z 40mm f/2 is small enough to keep on the camera or slip into a coat pocket.
Adaptable: the silent control ring can be set to control focus, aperture, exposure compensation, or ISO.
Weather protected: sealed to protect from dust and water droplets.
What’s in the box
- Nikon Nikkor Z 40mm f/2 Lens (FX and DX)
- LC-52B Lens Cap (Front Cap)
- LF-N1 Lens Cap (Rear Cap)
- Hoya REVO SMC 52mm Circular Polarising Filter - cut glare and reflections outdoors
- Hoya 52mm Variable ND Filter - ideal for video in brighter conditions with 1.5 to 8.5 stops light reduction
Nikon Nikkor Z 40mm f/2 Lens Sample images
mounted on Nikon Z5. 1/30 sec. f/2. ISO 1600
mounted on Nikon Z5. 1/160 sec. f/2. ISO 100
mounted on Nikon Z5. 1/1600 sec. f/2. ISO 100
mounted on Nikon Z5. 1/640 sec. f/2. ISO 500
Nikon Nikkor Z 40mm f/2 Lens Specifications
|Mount||Nikon Z mount|
|Focal length||40 mm|
|Lens construction||6 elements in 4 groups (including 2 aspherical lens elements)|
|Angle of view||57˚ (Nikon FX format) 38˚ 50’ (Nikon DX format)|
|Focusing system||Internal Focusing (IF) system|
|Vibration reduction mechanism (lens-shift system w/ voice coil motor)|
|Vibration reduction (VR)||No (achieved with in-camera image sensor shift VR)|
|When a tripod is used||No|
|Diaphragm blades||9 (rounded diaphragm opening)|
|Aperture system||Automatic aperture with electromagnetic diaphragm mechanism|
|Aperture range||f/2 - 16|
|Minimum focus distance||0.29 m (0.96 ft) from focal plane|
|Maximum reproduction ratio||0.17×|
|Weight||Approx. 170 g (6 oz)|
|Maximum diameter x length (distance to end of lens from camera lens mount flange)||Approx. 70 mm (2.8 in.) x 45.5 mm (1.8 in.) (based on CIPA Guidelines)|
|Filter-attachment size||52 mm|
|AF drive motor||STM (stepping motor)|
|Nano Crystal Coat||No|
|Front lens cap||LC-52B Lens Cap (Front Cap) (Supplied)|
|Rear lens cap||LF-N1 Lens Cap (Rear Cap) (Supplied)|
|Lens case||CL-C4 Lens Case (optional)|
|Offer Category: N/A|
|Offer Product Type: N/A|
|Aperture ring: N/A|
|Constant Aperture: Yes|
|Lens CIPA Image stabilization rating: N/A|
|Diameter (mm): N/A|
|Length (mm): N/A|
|Weight (g): N/A|
|Distance scale: N/A|
|DoF scale: N/A|
|Environmental Sealing: N/A|
|Focus distance limiter: N/A|
|Focal length: N/A|
|Focus method: N/A|
|Filter Thread: N/A|
|Full time manual: N/A|
|Hood supplied: N/A|
|Lens Image stabilization: N/A|
|Lens mount: N/A|
|Lens Materials: N/A|
|Maximum focal length: N/A|
|Maximum magnification: N/A|
|Maximum aperture (number): N/A|
|Maximum aperture (text): N/A|
|Max Format size: N/A|
|Minimum focal length: N/A|
|Lens Minimum focus distance (m): N/A|
|Minimum aperture (number): N/A|
|Minimum aperture (text): N/A|
|Motor type: N/A|
|Number of diaphragm blades: N/A|
|Power zoom: N/A|
|Special elements / coatings: N/A|
|Tripod collar: N/A|
|Lens type: N/A|
|Lens Level: N/A|
|Best For: N/A|
|Zoom lock: N/A|
|Zoom method: N/A|
The Nikkor Z 40mm f/2 lens is one of the most affordable models in the Nikon mirrorless lens range, offering users a natural field of view similar to that of the human eye. Nikon has designed the lens to be extremely compact and lightweight, ideal as an all day walk around lens for a wide range of subjects including discreet portraits, street photography and general snapshots. It excels at video and for vlogging due to its compact size and weight, with well controlled focus breathing for smooth focal transitions. The AF motor is responsive and most importantly extremely quiet ensuring you won’t disturb your subject or get any motor noises in video footage.
A bright aperture makes this an excellent performer for low light shooting, while the 9-bladed round aperture opening gives you smooth bokeh and excellent subject isolation. Although the Z 35mm f/1.8 S Lens gives a slightly wider field of view with slightly brighter aperture, the newer 40mm offers excellent value for money combined with great results for stills and video. The addition of dust and moisture resistance along with a versatile silent control ring which can be set to your preference add further value to an already excellent option. This makes a superb choice for any Nikon Z camera if you make videos, content for vlogs and enjoy a natural field of view in a compact prime lens.
Would you like to give any feedback about this page?Complete our feedback form
Writing your review
Sign In / Register
Existing Customer Login
If you are already a member, fill in the details below to login & view your account.
New Customer Signup
Create an account with Park CamerasRegister
Our used products are subject to wear and tear in comparison to brand new products. This also applies to accessories that are supplied with the camera including batteries which may have a lower optimum performance level/life expectancy.
- Like New – The equipment is in a condition as if you have just bought it from the manufacturer. The item is still considered to be ‘Like New’ even without the original packaging. The product has been fully tested and is in perfect working order.
- Excellent – The equipment should be close to being ‘Like New’ but there may be some small cosmetic blemishes that lower its grade. The product has been fully tested and is in perfect excellent order.
- Cameras – Should have no marks on the LCD screen
- Lenses – Should have no marks on the elements or dust within the lens
- Very Good – The equipment may have some slight cosmetic wear to the paintwork and cosmetic blemishes with only light signs of use and the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – The LCD screen may have small signs of wear that does not affect its display
- Lenses – The mount of the lens will start to show signs of wear
- Good – The equipment is showing more obvious signs of cosmetic wear and blemishes, but the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – LCD screen may have scratches or wear that is starting to affect the display.
- Lenses – May have slight dust inside that does not affect images. The mount shows signs of use.
- Well Used – The equipment will show significant signs of wear. The paintwork will be coming away in large areas exposing the metal work, but the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – LCD screen is heavily worn either by de-lamination or has scratches to it. Rubber grips are starting to come away from the body.
- Lenses – The lens has dust inside that may affect images. The rubber zoom/focus ring is coming away from the barrel of the lens.