Sony FX3 Full Frame Cinema Line Camera
Designed for solo film makers and vloggers the new full frame Sony FX3 Camera features a 4K Exmor R sensor, 15+ stop dynamic range, ISO up to 409600 and XAVC-S 4:2:2 10-bit internal recording up to 120p
- Highly capable fan-cooled Cinema Camera ideal for solo film makers and Youtube vlogging
- Excels in low light with ISO 80-409,600 expandable and built-in 5-axis optical stabilisation
- Fast Hybrid AutoFocus with Sony’s accurate Real-time Eye AF tracks subjects tenaciously
- XAVC-S 4:2:2 10-bit internal recording up to 4K/120p and 4K 16-bit RAW full HDMI external
- Pro connections throughout including a high quality supplied detachable handle with XLR audio
Sony FX3 Cinema Camera Summary
The Sony FX3 Full Frame Cinema Camera is generating a huge buzz with indie film makers and with good reason, having launched as the most lightweight professional camcorder from Sony at just 715g. It has been designed with solo film makers, Youtube vloggers and other pro videographers in mind, packing high quality features into a compact magnesium body, which shares technology with the latest Sony a7S III and FX6 cinema camera. Where the a7S III is a thoroughbred hybrid mirrorless camera, the FX3 is without question for videographers, designed without an EVF, but adding a host of video specific features instead.
Users can record 4K/120p and Full HD 240p internal movies with full AF tracking for smooth 5x or 10x slow motion playback and the Sony FX3 also comes with a top mounting detachable handle with XLR/TRX audio inputs. The handle and body itself has handy universal thread mounts for mounting accessories such as video monitors and recorders, lights like the Rotolight Neo 2 and transmitters.
- 10.2MP 4K full-frame back-illuminated CMOS Exmor R™ sensor with 15+ stop dynamic range
- XAVC-S 4:2:2 10-bit internal recording and 4K 16-bit RAW output with full HDMI
- ISO expandable 80-409,600
- Compact for handheld shooting portability measuring 129.7mm W x 77.8mm H x 84.5mm D
- 16-Bit RAW, S-Log3 and S-Cinetone™ profile inspired by VENICE colorimetry
- Fast Hybrid AutoFocus with up to 627 AF points, Real-time Eye AF, Touch tracking and customisable AF sensitivity
- Internal fan with heat dissipation cooling system for uninterrupted 4K 60p recording
- Built-in 5-axis image stabilisation
- Side opening vari-angle LCD monitor for pieces to camera
Firmware 2.0 for the FX3 camera now available
Sony has released a software update for the FX3, which provides significant improvements over the previous version.
Highlight features in firmware 2.0 include:
- Adds Log shooting mode, which allows you to shoot while displaying the monitor image with your favourite LUT (Look-Up table).*1
- Cine EI: A shooting mode that allows you to shoot with two Base ISO settings that can express clear images with the maximum dynamic range and suppressed noise.
- Cine EI Quick: A shooting mode in which movies are recorded using a Base ISO, as is the case with the Cine EI mode, but the Base ISO switches automatically according to the adjusted EI value.
- Flexible ISO: A shooting mode that allows you to record S-Log material by adjusting the exposure settings including ISO sensitivity according to the shooting scene.
- Adds the main menu, which allows you to access quickly the items you need.
- Changes layout for movie, which is information and icons overlapped picture on the movie standby screen.
- Allows you to display a function menu by swiping upward on the monitor on the shooting standby screen.
- Allows Timecode input with multi/micro USB terminal. You can set timecode with the source equipment. *2
- Adds the Monitor Flip Direction feature which can select reversed display of image and menu screens depending on how the monitor is opened and oriented.
- Improves the operational stability of the camera.
*1 Please use the latest version of Catalyst Browse or Catalyst Prepare to apply the LUT used for monitoring during shooting to the video during editing.
*2 You will Need a dedicated adapter cable, which is sold separately, to connect to the timecode source equipment.
Precautions when updating from Ver.1.01 or earlier
- After updating to this version, the camera settings will be reset to the default values.
- Note: Since this update adds functions and makes major specification changes, the camera settings will be initialised as part of the update process. It is recommended that you make note of all the camera settings before proceeding. Even if you have saved the settings using the various save features available (such as Save/Load Settings and Save/Load FTP Settings) the settings before Ver.1.01 cannot be read by the camera after the upgrade to Ver.2.00.
- With the addition of the log shooting mode, the picture profiles were reviewed and the gamma setting S-Log2 is no longer included. After the update, you will need to use the gamma setting S-Log3.
- You will be able to connect to the Imaging Edge Mobile app more easily. After pairing the app with the camera, you can transfer images and shoot remotely just by operating the app. Refer to Pairing the camera with a smartphone (Smartphone Regist.) in the Help Guide for detail. Along with this, the NFC one-touch connection function used up to Ver.1.01 of the camera will no longer be available.
- Note: You will also need to update the Imaging Edge Mobile app to Ver.7.7 or later, and register as a new camera after the update.
Download firmware version 2.0 here:
Naturally it is compatible with Sony E-mount lenses of which there are plenty of high quality models to choose from, as well as Cine specific options like Sony’s FE C 16-35mm T3.1 cine lens. The body has also been designed with an integral cage allowing the supplied XLR handle to be attached along with other 1/4-20 UNC screw-mounted accessories. Connectivity is provided by WiFi, Wired LAN via an adapter and USB-C connection for easy data transfers.
Sony FX3 Specifications in More Detail
Battery Operating Time: Approx. 95 min (Actual recording, CIPA standard)
Approx. 135 min(Continuous recording, CIPA standard)
Approx. 600 shots (LCD monitor) (Still image, CIPA standard)
Recording Format (Video) MAX: [XAVC S-I 4K]
XAVC S-I 4K 59.94p, 600Mbps 4:2:2 10bit, MPEG-4 AVC / H.264
Recording Format (Audio): LPCM 2ch (48kHz 16bit), LPCM 2ch (48kHz 24bit), LPCM 4ch (48kHz 24bit), MPEG-4 AAC-LC 2ch
Recording Frame Rate: [XAVC S-I 4K]3840x2160/59.94P, 50P, 29.97P, 23.98P, 25P [XAVC S-I HD]1920x1080/59.94P, 50P, 29.97P, 23.98P, 25P [XAVC S 4K]3840x2160/119.88p, 100p, 59.94P, 50P, 29.97P, 23.98P, 25P [XAVC S HD]1920x1080/119.88p, 100p, 59.94P, 50P, 29.97P, 23.98P, 25P [XAVC HS 4K]3840x2160/119.88p, 100p, 59.94P, 50P, 29.97P, 23.98P, 25P
Recording/Playback Time: [XAVC S-I 4K]
XAVC S-I 4K 59.94p/50p When using CEA-G160T (160 GB) Approx. 25 minutes When using CEA-G80T (80GB) Approx. 10 minutes
Recording Format (Proxy Audio): XAVC Proxy: AAC-LC, 128kbps kbps, 2 channels
Recording Format (Proxy Video): [XAVC HS HD]
MPEG-H HEVC/H.265 1920x1080 4:2:0 10bit 16Mbps 1920x1080 4:2:0 10bit 9Mbps [XAVC S HD]
MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 1280x720 4:2:0 8bit 6Mbps
RAW Output: HDMI:4264 x 2408 (60p / 50p / 30p / 25p / 24p), 16bit
Recording format: JPEG (DCF Ver. 2.0, Exif Ver. 2.32, MPF Baseline compliant), HEIF (MPEG-A MIAF compliant), RAW (Sony ARW 4.0 format compliant)
Image size (pixels) [3:2]: 35mm full frame L: 4240 x 2832 (12M), M: 2768 x 1848 (5.1M), S: 2128 x 1416 (3.0M) APS-C L: 2768 x 1848 (5.1M), M: 2128 x 1416 (3.0M), S: 1376 x 920 (1.3M)
Number of pixels (effective): Movie: Approx. 10.2 megapixels, Still image: Approx. 12.1 megapixels
ISO Sensitivity [Movie]: ISO 80-102400 equivalent (Expandable to ISO 409600), AUTO (ISO 80-12800, selectable lower limit and upper limit), [Still image] ISO 80-102400 (Expandable to ISO 40- 409600), AUTO (ISO 80-12800, selectable lower limit and upper limit)
Slow and Quick Motion Function: [XAVC S-I 4K / XAVC S 4K / XAVC HS 4K]NTSC mode: 1fps, 2fps, 4fps, 8fps, 15fps, 30fps, 60fps, 120fps, PAL mode: 1fps, 2fps, 3fps, 6fps, 12fps, 25fps, 50fps, 100fps
Gamma Curve Off / PP1-PP11, Parameters: Black level, Gamma (Movie, Still, Cine1-4, ITU709, ITU709 [800%], S-Log2, S-Log3, HLG, HLG1-3), Black Gamma, Knee, Color Mode, Saturation, Color Phase, Color Depth, Detail, Copy, Reset
Latitude: 15+ stop (S-Log3)
Focus System Type: Fast Hybrid AF (phase-detection AF / contrast-detection AF)
Focus point [Movie]: 627 points, [Still image] 35mm full frame: 759 points (phase-detection AF)
Sensitivity range: EV-6 to EV20 (ISO100 equivalent with F2.0 lens attached)
Focus mode: [Movie] AF-C, MF [Still image] AF-A (Automatic AF), AF-S (Single-shot AF), AF-C (Continuous AF), DMF (Direct Manual Focus), Manual Focus
Focus area [Movie]: Wide / Zone / Center / Flexible Spot / Expanded Flexible Spot [Still image] Wide / Zone / Center / Flexible Spot / Expanded Flexible Spot / Tracking
Other focus features: Eye AF ([Movie] Human (Right/Left Eye Select, [Still image] Human (Right/Left Eye Select) / Animal,)
Interface: Audio Input 3.5 mm Stereo minijack, XLR handle: [INPUT1][INPUT2] XLR/TRS-type 3-pin(female) (x2), line/mic/mic +48V selectable, Mic Reference -40 to -60 dBu / [INPUT3] 3.5 mm Stereo minijack)
USB Terminal USB Type-C (x1, SuperSpeed USB 5Gbps (USB 3.2) compatible), Multi/Micro USB (x1)
Headphone Output 3.5 mm Stereo minijack
Speaker Output Built-in, monaural
HDMI Output HDMI connector (Type-A
HDMI Output YCbCr 4:2:2 10bit / RGB 8bit
Multi Interface Shoe With Digital Audio Interface
LCD 7.5cm (3.0-type), Approx. 1.44M dots, touch panel
Built-in Microphone Built-in, stereo
Type CFexpress Type A / SD card (x2), Simult. Rec, Sort, Auto Switch Media, Copy
Zoom: Function Zoom ring rotate
Image Stabilisation: Type Image Sensor-Shift mechanism with 5-axis compensation (Compensation depends on lens specifications)
Image Stabilisation Mode [Movie] Active / Standard / Off, [Still image] On / Off
For more information read the comparison between the FX3 and a7S III and FX6 cameras in our blog review.
|Offer Category: N/A|
|Offer Product Type: N/A|
|Model: Sony FX3|
|AE Bracketing: N/A|
|Autofocus Modes: N/A|
|Articulated Screen: N/A|
|Aperture priority: N/A|
|Built-in flash: N/A|
|Battery Life (CIPA): N/A|
|Camera CIPA image stabilization rating: N/A|
|Continuous drive (fps): N/A|
|Custom white balance: N/A|
|Digital zoom: N/A|
|Effective pixels (megapixels): N/A|
|Environmental Sealing: N/A|
|Exposure compensation: N/A|
|External flash: N/A|
|Flash range (metres): N/A|
|Focal length (equiv.): N/A|
|Focal length multiplier: N/A|
|Flash modes: N/A|
|HDMI Port: N/A|
|Headphone port: N/A|
|Height (mm): N/A|
|Length (mm): N/A|
|Width (mm): N/A|
|Weight (g): N/A|
|Weight (inc. batteries) (g): N/A|
|Image ratio w:h: N/A|
|Camera Image stabilization: N/A|
|JPEG quality levels: N/A|
|Live view: N/A|
|Camera Lens mount: N/A|
|Manual exposure mode: N/A|
|Maximum shutter speed (electronic): N/A|
|Maximum ISO: N/A|
|Maximum ISO (boosted): N/A|
|Max resolution: N/A|
|Maximum shutter speed (seconds): N/A|
|Maximum aperture: N/A|
|Manual focus: N/A|
|Microphone port: N/A|
|Camera Minimum focus distance (cm): N/A|
|Minimum ISO: N/A|
|Minimum ISO (boosted): N/A|
|Minimum macro focus distance (cm): N/A|
|Minimum shutter speed (seconds): N/A|
|Metering modes: N/A|
|Number of focus points: N/A|
|Number of white balance presets: N/A|
|Optical zoom multiplier: N/A|
|Orientation sensor: N/A|
|Other resolutions: N/A|
|Remote control: N/A|
|Screen dots: N/A|
|Screen size: N/A|
|Screen type: N/A|
|Shutter priority: N/A|
|Sensor photo detectors (megapixels): N/A|
|Sensor size: N/A|
|Sensor type: N/A|
|Storage types: N/A|
|Subject / scene modes: N/A|
|Timelapse recording: N/A|
|Camera Type: N/A|
|Uncompressed format: N/A|
|Camera USB: N/A|
|USB charging: N/A|
|Viewfinder coverage: N/A|
|Viewfinder magnification: N/A|
|Viewfinder resolution: N/A|
|Viewfinder type: N/A|
|Video formats: N/A|
|Video Mode Categories: N/A|
|Video Modes: N/A|
|WB Bracketing: N/A|
The Sony Alpha FX3 is the most compact Cinema Line camera available at time of launch, primarily designed for solo-video recording, vlogging and pieces to camera, thanks to an articulating LCD screen and detachable carry handle. An internal cooling system allows the FX3 to record uninterrupted 4K / 60p for longer, particularly noticeable when using Sony’s CF Express Type A memory cards. 4K full frame movies show minimal rolling shutter even at 120p and the camera displays excellent low light capabilities with 15+ EV stops of dynamic range thanks to its 10.2 MP CMOS sensor, with images swiftly processed by the premium Bionz XR processor.
Colour grading possibilities are endless with the inclusion of S-LOG3 and S-Cinetone profiles which are seen throughout new Cinema Line cameras from Sony.
The FX3 also provides more focus accuracy when using AutoFocus and includes Real-time Eye AF, Real-time touch tracking and customisable autofocus tracking sensitivity. This will be appreciated by videographers who can concentrate on capturing footage rather than worrying about hitting focus, even if walking whilst recording. 5-axis in-body stabilisation with Active Mode also targets run and gun handheld shooters, with capable stabilisation plus Meta Data ‘shake’ compensation when using Catalyst apps from Sony.
As well as being extremely compact with a deep integrated grip, the Sony FX3 also includes a detachable top-handle with XLR inputs for professional microphones and audio connections. Individuals creating their own videos can make a substantial leap in production quality with the FX3, use their E-mount lenses, and even add high quality external mics through XLR or TRS inputs.
Would you like to give any feedback about this page?Complete our feedback form
Writing your review
Sign In / Register
Existing Customer Login
If you are already a member, fill in the details below to login & view your account.
New Customer Signup
Create an account with Park CamerasRegister
Our used products are subject to wear and tear in comparison to brand new products. This also applies to accessories that are supplied with the camera including batteries which may have a lower optimum performance level/life expectancy.
- Like New – The equipment is in a condition as if you have just bought it from the manufacturer. The item is still considered to be ‘Like New’ even without the original packaging and accessories. The product has been fully tested and is in perfect working order. Lenses are optically clear. There may be light dust present that will not effect the imagery.
- Excellent – The equipment should be close to being ‘Like New’ but there may be some small cosmetic blemishes that lower its grade. The product has been fully tested and is in perfect excellent order.
- Cameras – Should have no marks on the LCD screen
- Lenses – Should have no marks on the elements and optically clear. There may be light dust present that will not effect the imagery.
- Very Good – The equipment may have some slight cosmetic wear to the paintwork and cosmetic blemishes with only light signs of use and the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – The LCD screen may have small signs of wear that does not affect its display
- Lenses – The mount of the lens will start to show signs of wear
- Good – The equipment is showing more obvious signs of cosmetic wear and blemishes, but the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – LCD screen may have scratches or wear that is starting to affect the display.
- Lenses – May have slight dust inside that does not affect images. The mount shows signs of use.
- Well Used – The equipment will show significant signs of wear. The paintwork will be coming away in large areas exposing the metal work, but the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – LCD screen is heavily worn either by de-lamination or has scratches to it. Rubber grips are starting to come away from the body.
- Lenses – The lens has dust inside that may affect images. The rubber zoom/focus ring is coming away from the barrel of the lens.
*All of our used items are listed with the accesories that are included. If they are not listed then they will not be supplied at eh epoint of purchase.