Sigma 100-400mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary Lens Nikon F
The Nikon F-mount Sigma 100-400mm Contemporary telephoto lens captures excellent results from Special Low Dispersion elements, steadier handholding with optical stabilisation & fast accurate AF system.view full description
Looking to trade in your camera equipment? Get a quote now!
Product Code: G247265N
Earn 679 Park Points
Finance available - See options
Sigma 100-400mm f/5-f/6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary Nikon Fit Lens Summary
- Compact 100-400mm telephoto zoom lens in the Contemporary range of Sigma lenses.
- Nikon F-mount lens compatible with Nikon DSLRs
- Optical stabiliser (OS)
- Hypersonic motor (HSM) for fast autofocus
- Nikon electromagnetic diaphragm mechanism to communicate with Nikon cameras.
- 21 lens elements in 15 groups
- Filter Thread: 67mm
- Minimum focusing distance: 160cm
- 9 rounded diaphragm blades
Sigma 100-400mm f/5-f/6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary Nikon F-Mount Lens in Detail
An ultra-telephoto lens with an optical stabilizer (OS) system has several advantages.
The OS allows the photographer to take photographs in unstable circumstances. The narrow angle of view makes it possible to dramatically compress perspective and flexible handling of the background.
The photographer can thereby make the subject appear to jump out of the image, with the area in focus impressively sharp and clear. Nevertheless, ultra-telephoto lenses have traditionally had some disadvantages as well.
With the goal of creating an ultra-telephoto lens that is far more accessible, Sigma incorporated all of its latest technologies into this lens.
With its outstanding combination of optical performance and compactness, this is an ultra-telephoto lens that is a joy to carry and use. While keeping the robust functionality and exceptional image quality of an ultra-telephoto zoom lens intact, Sigma has achieved amazingly compact packaging enclosing 400mm optics.
It offers the compact size, lightweight, and high cost performance of a 70-300mm lens while delivering 400mm telephoto performance.
This approach results in a tempting new ultra-telephoto choice for photographers. Offering a combination of stunning image quality and outstanding functionality, this lens satisfies the needs of pros and amateurs alike.
Top performance with the specification and functionality of a more expensive unit
Since its release, the Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM - Contemporary has won photographers over with its strong fundamental performance and exceptional image quality. The new lens retains all of this performance in a compact 400mm ultra-telephoto zoom package with a filter size of just 67mm and weight of just 1,160g.
Yet it also comes with the full range of features and functions expected of an ultra-telephoto zoom: optical stabilizer (OS), hypersonic motor (HSM) with updated algorithm for fast autofocus, focus limiter, and more. In addition, this uncompromising specification becomes customizable with the available Sigma USB Dock accessory.
Compact packaging with uncompromising image quality
In designing this lens, Sigma strived to push both compactness and image quality to the limit. Four SLD (Special Low Dispersion) glass lens elements and an optimized power distribution help minimize optical aberrations.
Moreover, by taking special care to minimize transverse chromatic aberration, which cannot be corrected via aperture control, Sigma has ensured outstanding image quality throughout the zoom range.
Push/pull zoom mechanism incorporated
For quick control of the angle of view, the zoom ring incorporates a push/pull mechanism in addition to the regular twist mechanism. The exclusive lens hood has also been designed to accommodate push/pull zooming and overall lens maneuverability. By making it possible to adjust the angle of view instantly, this lens gives photographers an even better chance of getting that crucial shot.
Telephoto plus macro functionality
With a minimum shooting distance of 160cm and a maximum magnification ratio of 1:3.8, this lens can shoot either from a distance or up close.
Dust- and splash-proof mount
Since the area of the lens most vulnerable to dust and other foreign bodies is the mount, rubber sealing helps provide peace of mind.
All-new optical stabilizer (OS) unit with exclusive algorithm
Featuring a newly developed gyroscopic sensor and a new and exclusive algorithm, the all-new OS unit provides a powerful stabilization effect. An acceleration sensor detects camera shake in any direction horizontal, vertical, or diagonal. This technology allows the OS to stabilize the image very effectively, regardless of whether the camera is being held in horizontal or vertical orientation.
Nikon electromagnetic diaphragm mechanism included
The Nikon mount version of this lens includes an electromagnetic diaphragm mechanism that allows it to receive the appropriate signals from the camera body. This feature ensures precision diaphragm control and stable Auto Exposure (AE) performance during continuous shooting. (Please note, functionality may be limited on some camera bodies).
Other features and specifications
- Rounded diaphragm
- Designed to minimise flare and ghosting
- Compatible with the newly developed tele Converters
- Fast AF with full-time manual override
- Compatible with Mount Converter MC-11
- Works with the Sigma USB Dock for lens setting adjustment and firmware updates
- Mount Conversion Service available if changing brand of camera
- High-precision, durable brass bayonet mount
- Evaluation with SIGMA's own MTF measuring system "A1"
- Made in Japan
- The lens barrel is engraved with the year of release
|Offer Category: Camera Lenses|
|Offer Product Type: Nikon Lenses F mount|
|Aperture ring: N/A|
|Constant Aperture: N/A|
|Lens CIPA Image stabilization rating: N/A|
|Diameter (mm): 86|
|Length (mm): 182|
|Weight (g): 1160|
|Distance scale: N/A|
|DoF scale: N/A|
|Environmental Sealing: N/A|
|Focus distance limiter: N/A|
|Focal length: 100 - 400 mm|
|Focus method: N/A|
|Filter Thread: N/A|
|Full time manual: Yes|
|Hood supplied: Yes|
|Lens Image stabilization: Yes|
|Lens mount: N/A|
|Lens Materials: N/A|
|Maximum focal length: 400|
|Maximum magnification: 0.26|
|Maximum aperture (number): 5|
|Maximum aperture (text): N/A|
|Max Format size: N/A|
|Minimum focal length: 100|
|Lens Minimum focus distance (m): 0.16|
|Minimum aperture (number): 22|
|Minimum aperture (text): N/A|
|Motor type: N/A|
|Number of diaphragm blades: 9|
|Power zoom: N/A|
|Special elements / coatings: Four SLD elements|
|Tripod collar: N/A|
|Lens type: N/A|
|Zoom lock: N/A|
|Zoom method: N/A|
Joining the Contemporary family of Sigma lenses, this compact 100-400mm lens utilises optical image stabilisation to assist in long-range photography - with its obvious applications of sports or wildlife photography being perfect beneficiaries of this technology.
For a lens of this focal range it is relatively compact and means you can add a whole new range of photography styles to your bag without needing anything too bulky or cumbersome.
Sigma's claim is that this lens offers high cost performance at a lower cost, and the optical and physical design of the lens certainly doesn't defer from that mantra - with a host of special low dispersion lenses to get impressive images combining with a dust and splash proof mount to prevent 'foreign bodies'.
- Nice size for a lens with such a versatile focal length
- Magnification ration suitable for macro photography
- Well considered optical design for higher quality images
Writing your review
Sign In / Register
Existing Customer Login
If you are already a member, fill in the details below to login & view your account.
New Customer Signup
Create an account with Park CamerasRegister
- Like New – The equipment is in a condition as if you have just bought it from the manufacturer. The item is still considered to be ‘Like New’ even without the original packaging. The product has been fully tested and is in perfect working order.
- Excellent – The equipment should be close to being ‘Like New’ but there may be some small cosmetic blemishes that lower its grade. The product has been fully tested and is in perfect excellent order.
- Cameras – Should have no marks on the LCD screen
- Lenses – Should have no marks on the elements or dust within the lens
- Very Good – The equipment may have some slight cosmetic wear to the paintwork and cosmetic blemishes with only light signs of use and the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – The LCD screen may have small signs of wear that does not affect its display
- Lenses – The mount of the lens will start to show signs of wear
- Good – The equipment is showing more obvious signs of cosmetic wear and blemishes, but the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – LCD screen may have scratches or wear that is starting to affect the display.
- Lenses – May have slight dust inside that does not affect images. The mount shows signs of use.
- Well Used – The equipment will show significant signs of wear. The paintwork will be coming away in large areas exposing the metal work, but the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – LCD screen is heavily worn either by de-lamination or has scratches to it. Rubber grips are starting to come away from the body.
- Lenses – The lens has dust inside that may affect images. The rubber zoom/focus ring is coming away from the barrel of the lens.