This product has been discontinued.
Sony RX1R II Digital Compact Camera
Looking to trade in your camera equipment? Get a quote now!
Product Code: 7014014R
Sony RX1R II Digital Compact Camera Summary
Sony RX1R II in Detail
Ultimate Image Quality in the Palm of Your Hand
The Sony RX1R II camera utilises a back-illuminated 35mm full-frame Exmor R CMOS sensor with approx. 42.4 effective megapixels paired with a powerful BIONZ X processing engine to achieve superior levels of image resolution and sensitivity (ISO 100-25600, expandable to 50 102400[ii]) with wide dynamic range. The sensor's back-illuminated structure, with an expanded circuit scale and copper wiring design, enables faster transmission speed and outputs data approximately 3.5x faster than the original RX1R, ensuring high-speed performance.
Matched specifically for the image sensor, the large aperture 35mm F2 ZEISS Sonnar T* lens ensures that all images captured by the camera are impressively sharp from the centre to the corners. The lens also has a unique Macro shift ring for focusing on subjects as close as 14cm in front of the lens and has nine aperture blades that produce smooth, even background defocus or bokeh' in the most commonly used aperture ranges.
Another unique benefit of the new camera is its fixed lens design, which allows the positioning of its sensor and lens to be precisely adjusted to maximise all benefits of the sensor's extremely high resolution. The closer the two components are to one another, the wider the angle through which light can pass through the lens and directly reach the sensor, resulting in imagery that is rich in detail and resolution. Also, unlike the focal plane shutter common to interchangeable lens cameras, RX1R II utilises an in-lens shutter, allowing 1/2000 sec flash synch speed and a significant reduction in overall body size.
The RX1R II also offers uncompressed 14-bit RAW image capture to maximise the benefits of the image sensor's wide dynamic range, while also still supporting existing compressed format.
High Speed AF to Capture the Decisive Moment
The RX1R II model is the first in Sony's acclaimed RX line of compact cameras to feature Fast Hybrid AF capabilities. The camera's sensor features 399 focal-plane phase-detection AF points that cover about 45% of the image area the world's widest AF coverage on a full-frame sensori that work together with 25 contrast AF points to achieve focus response that is about 30% faster than the original model. Additionally, the camera has adapted an advanced motion-detection algorithm that offers superior tracking performance of moving subjects and allows for the addition of AF-C mode that accurately tracks a subject after focusing. It also can achieve up to 5fps continuous shooting with AF tracking.
Other focusing improvements on the new model include multiple AF area settings including Wide, Centre and Flexible Spot, as well as Eye AF and lock-on AF.
World's First Optical Variable Low Pass Filter
In a first for digital cameras, the RX1R II features an optical variable low pass filter that allows shooters to manually adjust the balance of image resolution and presence of moir© or colour artifacts to match the subject.
The three settings for the low-pass filter[iii] include "off", which provides comparable effects to having no low-pass filter and is suitable when prioritising resolution, "standard", which strikes a balance between resolution and removal of moir© and colour artifacts, and "high", which places more emphasis on reducing moir© and artifacting. This unique feature allows photographers to achieve the desired image quality and resolution based on the presence of moir©-inducing high spatial frequency objects in the scene, essentially combining two cameras one with and without a low-pass filter into one body. Low-pass filter bracketing is also available and can be used to compare the effects of different settings.
New Retractable XGA OLED viewfinder, Tiltable Screen, HD Video and more
New for the RX1 series, the RX1R II has a built-in retractable XGA OLED Tru-Finder[iv] that pops up and down with simple one-push operation. The viewfinder features ZEISS T* Coating and four glass elements, including two aspherical lenses, that work together to deliver a magnification of 0.74x[v] and clear corner-to-corner visibility with minimal distortion. The new camera also has a 3.0 type WhiteMagic 1.2 million dot LCD display that can tilt upwards to 109 degrees and downwards to 41 degrees, allowing for a greater range of shooting angles and positions.
On the video side, the camera's advanced sensor and processor deliver exceptionally detailed movies with low levels of noise. It is able to support full HD 1920x1080 video recording at frame rates of 60p, 30p or 24p through use of the versatile XAVC S movie recording format.[vi]
The RX1R II camera is also Wi-Fi and NFC compatible and fully functional with Sony's PlayMemories Mobile application available for Android and iOS platforms, as well as Sony's growing range of PlayMemories Camera Apps.
If you think that Sony was focused on their mirrorless range of cameras, with the a7 family, the RX1R II will prove to you that their innovation isn't restricted to just one camera category. In order to lead a category your Camera has to contain a shedload of features, look the part and most importantly take beautiful pictures. Sony are ticking all the boxes.
The first RX1 and RX1R came with a full-frame 24 Megapixel sensor which has been upgraded to an astounding 42.4 Megapixels for their second generation camera. Another addition is the variable optical low-pass filter, which at the time of the camera's announcement was the first of its kind in the world. This eradicates the need for the RX1/R differentation, whereas the RX1R came minus the low-pass filter - the RX1R Mk II lets you choose whether you want to utilise a low-pass filter or not, which is dependant on your intention. If you want to prioritise resolution, turn it off, otherwise choose 'Hi' mode to use the low pass filter - thus reducing moire and colour artifacts (the process known as anti-aliasing).
Another new feature is the retractable electronic viewfinder - technically brilliant, and visually delightful when you can pop it into the camera for added portability. The a7S II introduced Sony users to 14-bit uncompressed RAW capability, the RX1R II would be amiss without this, and thankfully it isn't. As with the previous version, the lens comes in the form of a ZEISS Sonnar T* 35mm F2 fixed focal length lens, as this camera would be redundant without the highest quality optics - another tick from Sony.
Mere footnotes, yet exceptional still, are the tiltable LCD screen, Full HD movie recording, 399-phase AF and Continuous AF are present in this feature hungry compact. Combined into one compact device, these features are a sure fire recipe for producing the optimum images.
- We say it every time but the full-frame sensor in any camera is worth shouting about let alone putting a 42.4 Megapixel one into a compact camera.
- That EVF from an aesthetic perspective is a genius addition.
- Too many things to list - a whole host of features that are usually found in larger, SLR or mirrorless cameras.
Writing your review
Sign In / Register
Existing Customer Login
If you are already a member, fill in the details below to login & view your account.
New Customer Signup
Create an account with Park CamerasRegister
- Like New – The equipment is in a condition as if you have just bought it from the manufacturer. The item is still considered to be ‘Like New’ even without the original packaging. The product has been fully tested and is in perfect working order.
- Excellent – The equipment should be close to being ‘Like New’ but there may be some small cosmetic blemishes that lower its grade. The product has been fully tested and is in perfect excellent order.
- Cameras – Should have no marks on the LCD screen
- Lenses – Should have no marks on the elements or dust within the lens
- Very Good – The equipment may have some slight cosmetic wear to the paintwork and cosmetic blemishes with only light signs of use and the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – The LCD screen may have small signs of wear that does not affect its display
- Lenses – The mount of the lens will start to show signs of wear
- Good – The equipment is showing more obvious signs of cosmetic wear and blemishes, but the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – LCD screen may have scratches or wear that is starting to affect the display.
- Lenses – May have slight dust inside that does not affect images. The mount shows signs of use.
- Well Used – The equipment will show significant signs of wear. The paintwork will be coming away in large areas exposing the metal work, but the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – LCD screen is heavily worn either by de-lamination or has scratches to it. Rubber grips are starting to come away from the body.
- Lenses – The lens has dust inside that may affect images. The rubber zoom/focus ring is coming away from the barrel of the lens.