Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8E FL ED VR Telephoto Zoom Lens
The excellent Nikon F-mount AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8E FL ED VR telephoto lens has been upgraded with improved vibration reduction, superior AF tracking and outstanding clarity across the frame.
- lightweight design and magnesium alloy body for overall weight improvements
- Reconfigured zoom and focus rings
- Lens coatings and weather proofing
- Vibration Reduction system
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8E FL ED VR Lens Summary
No matter what you shoot, the latest iteration of the renowned Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8 lens has improvements across the board, so whether you're a sports, action, news, or reportage photographer, you'll be one step ahead.
- Exceptional low light performance from the fast f/2.8 aperture
- Improved closest focusing distance now 1.1m
- Improved maximum reproduction ratio from 0.11x to now 0.21x
- Benefits from Nikon's VR system to minimise effects of camera shake
- New SPORT VR mode for shooting exceptionally fast moving subjects
- Built to meet the demands of Nikon's high-end professional DSLRs
- Improved AF tracking
- Edge-to-edge optical precision improved over its predecessor
- Six ED glass elements, a fluorite lens element, and High Refractive Index element
- Nano Crystal Coat to reduce ghosting and flare
- lightweight design
- Configurable buttons on the barrel
- Zoom and focus rings are reversed for more balanced handling
- Sealed against dust and water droplets
- New magnesium alloy barrel for improved lightness
- Fluorine coating which repels water, dust and dirt
Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8E FL ED VR Features in Detail
Fast f/2.8 Telephoto Zoom
This lens' much loved predecessor was a staple for active photographers, whether you shoot sports, action, news or reportage, the benefits of a wide aperture f/2.8 lens will take your work to the next level.
The wide aperture delivers exceptional low light performance and now has a closes focusing distance of 1.1m which means it's even more versatile and ready for Nikon's highest quality professional DSLR cameras.
Sharp and Steady Photos
The Vibration Reduction (VR) system in Nikon's Nikkor lenses minimises the effects of camera shake which means you can shoot at up to 4 stops slower shutter speeds than with a non-VR lens.
Improved over its predecessor, the VR on this lens now activates as soon as you half press the shutter button, and with quiet operation. Additionally, SPORT VR mode delivers and even more stable viewfinder image when shooting exceptionally fast sport action.
It will even recognise when a tripod is being used and adjusts accordingly.
Improved AF Tracking
This lens is built to meet the needs of Nikon's fast, professional DSLR cameras which means it responds quickly and precisely to autofocus changes, reliably tracking fast moving subjects, even when they're moving erratically, at random speeds, or quickly approaching the camera.
Fast automatic exposure control and consistency between shots during high speed continuous shooting is now offered thanks to the electromagnetic diaphragm mechanism operating in sync with the camera's shutter. It also delivers smooth and consistent operation even during high speed bursts thanks to the diaphragm blade unit mechanism being incorporated into the lens barrel.
Additionally, Nikon's Silent wave Motor (SWM) gives ultra-fast, ultra-quiet autofocus performance with seamless manual override.
Edge-to-edge optical clarity
Right across the image frame, even at the edges, this lens delivers exceptional performance with reduced light fall off, compared to its predecessor.
The new design, including six ED glass elements, a fluorite lens element, and a High Refractive Index (HRI) element, effectively counters colour fringing and chromatic aberration and controls distortion throughout the zoom range. A Nano Crystal Coat also reduces ghosting and flare for greater image quality. The use of fluorite glass and lightweight build do not come at the cost of image quality.
With configurable buttons on the barrel, similar to the Nikkor pro telephoto lenses, making it easy to change functions with your thumb while stabilising the lens, this lens is built for professionals who appreciate the details.
The zoom and focus rings have also been reversed for a more balanced handling, so the zoom ring is now towards the front of the barrel, directly below your hand, making it easier to maintain a steady posture, comforted by the knurled rubber covering over the zoom ring for a firm grip.
lightweight, durable, reliable
The predecessor to this lens was much loved by professionals the world over for its reliability and durability. This lens has built on that success with every movable part weather sealed from dust and water droplets and now, thanks to the new magnesium alloy lens barrel and HRI and fluorite lens elements, it's even lighter than its predecessor.
Also boasting Nikon's fluorine coating, this lens actively repels water, dust and dirt without compromising image quality. This coating has been applied to both the front and rear elements which makes it easier to clean without scratching the glass.
NIKON AF-S NIKKOR 70-200MM F/2.8E FL ED VR TELEPHOTO ZOOM LENS SPECIFICATIONS
Focal length range
70 - 200 mm
f/2.8 - f/22, automatic electro-magnetic aperture control
4.0 stops (in NORMAL mode, based on CIPA standards). Modes available: VR OFF, NORMAL, SPORT. Can be used in combination with tripods (automatic detection)
Nikon F Mount Fx/Dx full frame
Approx. 88.5 mm maximum diameter × 202.5 mm (distance from camera lens mount flange, based upon CIPA guidelines)
Approx. 1430 g
|Offer Category: Camera Lenses|
|Offer Product Type: Nikon Lenses F mount|
|Aperture ring: N/A|
|Constant Aperture: Yes|
|Lens CIPA Image stabilization rating: N/A|
|Diameter (mm): 89|
|Length (mm): 203|
|Weight (g): 1430|
|Distance scale: Yes|
|DoF scale: N/A|
|Environmental Sealing: N/A|
|Focus distance limiter: Yes|
|Focal length: 70 - 200 mm|
|Focus method: N/A|
|Filter Thread: N/A|
|Full time manual: Yes|
|Hood supplied: Yes|
|Lens Image stabilization: Yes|
|Lens mount: N/A|
|Lens Materials: N/A|
|Maximum focal length: 200|
|Maximum magnification: 0.21|
|Maximum aperture (number): 2.8|
|Maximum aperture (text): N/A|
|Max Format size: N/A|
|Minimum focal length: 70|
|Lens Minimum focus distance (m): 1.1|
|Minimum aperture (number): 22|
|Minimum aperture (text): N/A|
|Motor type: N/A|
|Number of diaphragm blades: 9|
|Power zoom: N/A|
|Special elements / coatings: 6 ED, 1 Fluorite, 1 HRI element + Nano Crystal & Fluorine coatings|
|Tripod collar: Yes|
|Lens type: N/A|
|Zoom lock: Yes|
|Zoom method: N/A|
Nikon's AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8E FL ED VR lens offers some noticeable and welcome improvements over its much-loved predecessor.
With some big shoes to fill, this lens boasts a number of new features that will make the difference for active professional photographers.
The weight difference will be the most noticeable physical difference, shaving 100g off compared to its predecessor. Other handling changes include the reversal of the zoom and focusing rings which moves the zoom ring towards the front of the barrel, making it easier to maintain a steady posture when zooming. Finally, the addition of configurable buttons on the barrel open up new options to make quick changes when shooting without having to take your hands off the lens.
Nikon have also made several improvements to the glass and elements which means that edge-of-frame sharpness has improved as well as reduced light fall-off as well as countering colour fringing and chromatic aberration.
The new fluorine coating to repel water, dust, and dirt and the dust and water droplets weather sealing make this lens great for active photographs in unpredictable environments.
Other improvements include a closes focusing distance of 1.1m compared to 1.4m on its predecessor and an improved maximum reproduction ratio from 0.11x to 0.21x.
Writing your review
Sign In / Register
Existing Customer Login
If you are already a member, fill in the details below to login & view your account.
New Customer Signup
Create an account with Park CamerasRegister
- Like New – The equipment is in a condition as if you have just bought it from the manufacturer. The item is still considered to be ‘Like New’ even without the original packaging. The product has been fully tested and is in perfect working order.
- Excellent – The equipment should be close to being ‘Like New’ but there may be some small cosmetic blemishes that lower its grade. The product has been fully tested and is in perfect excellent order.
- Cameras – Should have no marks on the LCD screen
- Lenses – Should have no marks on the elements or dust within the lens
- Very Good – The equipment may have some slight cosmetic wear to the paintwork and cosmetic blemishes with only light signs of use and the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – The LCD screen may have small signs of wear that does not affect its display
- Lenses – The mount of the lens will start to show signs of wear
- Good – The equipment is showing more obvious signs of cosmetic wear and blemishes, but the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – LCD screen may have scratches or wear that is starting to affect the display.
- Lenses – May have slight dust inside that does not affect images. The mount shows signs of use.
- Well Used – The equipment will show significant signs of wear. The paintwork will be coming away in large areas exposing the metal work, but the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – LCD screen is heavily worn either by de-lamination or has scratches to it. Rubber grips are starting to come away from the body.
- Lenses – The lens has dust inside that may affect images. The rubber zoom/focus ring is coming away from the barrel of the lens.