Laowa 58mm f/2.8 2x Ultra-Macro APO Lens for L Mount
The Laowa 58mm f/2.8 2x Ultra-Macro APO Lens for L Mount is able to capture incredible double life-sized close-up macro images with sharp details as well as making a great choice for portraits and other shots.
- Ideal for close-ups as well as portraits and other subjects thanks to focus from 2:1 magnification to infinity
- 2x magnification with frame-filling macro details to capture unique images, closer than the eye can see
- Well-controlled distortion with minimal chromatic aberration from the apochromatic (APO) optical design
- High build quality with metallic parts, brushed black paint finish and a smooth focus ring typical of Laowa lenses
- Weighs 595g for handheld shooting and internal focusing, which retains the length when shooting close-ups
Laowa 58mm f/2.8 2x Ultra-Macro APO Lens for L Mount Summary
Arriving as the second full-frame macro L mount lens for Leica, Panasonic and Sigma cameras, the Laowa 58mm f/2.8 2x Ultra-Macro APO Lens for L Mount offers a unique focal width with distinct characteristics. The standard 58mm prime is able to focus from 2:1 magnification through to infinity, allowing you to capture incredibly detailed double life-sized macro shots, as well as portraits and other everyday subjects.
The apochromatic (APO) design controls chromatic aberration extremely well, and results are sharp with minimal pin cushioning or vignetting. Laowa has included a wide aperture for low light along with a 13-bladed diaphragm, which renders smooth out of focus areas and nice rounded bokeh. The lens focuses as close as 18.5cm to the subject, ensuring you can fill the frame with juicy details and create dynamic compositions of anything from nature and wildlife macro to food and product images.
Key Laowa 58mm f/2.8 2x Ultra-Macro APO Lens Features
- Full-frame manual focus standard focal width lens with double life-sized magnification
- Well-controlled chromatic aberration from an apochromatic (APO) design
- Focus from 2:1 magnification to infinity
- Excellent build quality with metal parts and brushed black paint finish
- Aperture ring with click stops and smooth metallic manual focus ring
- High contrast with sharp details even at minimum focus range
- Minimal pin cushion distortion with mild vignetting
- Smooth bokeh and pleasing out of focus areas
- Easily add lens filters with the compact 67mm thread
Laowa 58mm f/2.8 2x Ultra-Macro APO Lens for L Mount in More Detail
This lens is similar to other macro lenses from Laowa, which are able to focus from 2:1 magnification to infinity, serving as both a macro and portrait lens. The 58mm has 14 elements in 11 groups, which includes 3 extra-low dispersion (ED) glasses and 3 glasses with Ultra-High Refractive Index. This helps to produce pictures with outstanding sharpness while remaining lightweight at around 595g, for easy handheld shooting.
Up to 2x Magnification with Apochromat APO design
This 58mm macro lens for mirrorless Leica L mount can focus from infinity to 2x magnification and offers a minimum focusing distance of 18.5cm, to be used as a macro and portrait lens with a 40.9° angle of view. Chromatic aberration (CA) at both in-focus and out-of-focus areas (Longitudinal CA) is especially well controlled, reducing time spent editing and helping to get great results straight out of the camera.
The optical design includes 3 ED glasses and 3 glasses with Ultra-High Refractive Index, which delivers sharp details and high contrast, perfect for Nikon’s high-resolution sensors.
Deeper DOF (depth of field)
With a shorter 58mm focal length than most macro lenses, including Laowa’s own 90mm F/2.8 2x Ultra Macro APO Lens For L Mount Mount, the 58mm f/2.8 2x lens can create images with a deeper depth of field, which is beneficial when the photographer hopes to create visual narratives through environmental close-ups by including more of the scene. It can also help to reduce the need for focus stacking, thanks to fewer images being required as more of the subject is in focus.
The lens design is based around internal focusing, which reduces the chance of collision between the lens and a subject, as well as reducing the amount of dust from falling into the lens.
Pleasing bokeh rendition
With13 aperture blades the lens is able to create pleasing rounded bokeh balls with soft out of focus areas.
Laowa 58mm f/2.8 2x Ultra-Macro APO Lens Sample photos
© Dustin Abbot
© Dustin Abbot
© Dustin Abbot
© Micael Widell
Laowa is adding to their range of L mount options with the manual focus 58mm f/2.8 2x Ultra-Macro APO Lens. It provides a standard focal width with a 40.9° angle of view, rather than a more typical short telephoto range. This is particularly useful when you have such a close minimum focusing distance, enabling you to either fill the frame with your subject or include plenty of background for environmental-type portraits. By shooting from a shorter distance you can also feature a shallow depth of field if required, isolating your subject and blurring out the background with a shallow depth of field.
Double life-sized 2x magnification captures extraordinary detail which is typically unseen by the human eye, for truly unique close-up photos. The ability to focus to infinity ensures this model can also be used as a general purpose lens, in order to capture everyday snapshots and portraits.
Unwanted artefacts are well controlled, as is distortion and vignetting, which not only provides great looking images straight from camera, but reduces time required correcting CA during post.
If you’re a keen macro photographer and enjoy shooting with a standard focal width the Laowa lens captures amazing results and makes an appealing alternative to more standard telephoto macro options.
Would you like to give any feedback about this page?Complete our feedback form
Writing your review
Sign In / Register
Existing Customer Login
If you are already a member, fill in the details below to login & view your account.
New Customer Signup
Create an account with Park CamerasRegister
Our used products are subject to wear and tear in comparison to brand new products. This also applies to accessories that are supplied with the camera including batteries which may have a lower optimum performance level/life expectancy.
- Like New – The equipment is in a condition as if you have just bought it from the manufacturer. The item is still considered to be ‘Like New’ even without the original packaging and accessories. The product has been fully tested and is in perfect working order.
- Excellent – The equipment should be close to being ‘Like New’ but there may be some small cosmetic blemishes that lower its grade. The product has been fully tested and is in perfect excellent order.
- Cameras – Should have no marks on the LCD screen
- Lenses – Should have no marks on the elements or dust within the lens
- Very Good – The equipment may have some slight cosmetic wear to the paintwork and cosmetic blemishes with only light signs of use and the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – The LCD screen may have small signs of wear that does not affect its display
- Lenses – The mount of the lens will start to show signs of wear
- Good – The equipment is showing more obvious signs of cosmetic wear and blemishes, but the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – LCD screen may have scratches or wear that is starting to affect the display.
- Lenses – May have slight dust inside that does not affect images. The mount shows signs of use.
- Well Used – The equipment will show significant signs of wear. The paintwork will be coming away in large areas exposing the metal work, but the product has been fully tested and is in great working order.
- Cameras – LCD screen is heavily worn either by de-lamination or has scratches to it. Rubber grips are starting to come away from the body.
- Lenses – The lens has dust inside that may affect images. The rubber zoom/focus ring is coming away from the barrel of the lens.
*All of our used items are listed with the accesories that are included. If they are not listed then they will not be supplied at eh epoint of purchase.